1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Planet Fitness

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Sep 23, 2012.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've heard of this chain before, and now they're opening one in the plaza that I work in.

Seems like a good deal, $10 or $20/month memberships and a yearly fee of $40. They have some rules, no tank tops that hang by a string, always sneakers no sandals, no grunting or loud music (I hope this is for the guys).

Higer tier membership comes with access to massage therapy, massage chairs and red light therapy. Plus you can bring a guest every time. Meaning I can drag Dr. J without paying for another membership.

Anybody have experience with these guys? They don't have a pool, but I could never get in for free swim at the Y anyway.
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I go sporadically, but for $20 a month it's painless to keep the membership on a string. Never had a problem there, and it's a pretty good gym experience in every way whenever I go.
  3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I pay $10 a month and love it, but they spell the word judgment wrong on all their equipment.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ha! I noticed that, too. But I also go there on the $10 per month deal and it's worth every penny.
  5. farmerjerome

Ha! I'll have to check it out when mine opens. I'll have to find the t-shirt they gave me too.
  6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

The price is good. The rules mean that it should have a good atmosphere for normal people.

The most important thing though is "in the plaza that I work in." I have found that gym convenience is the biggest factor is me actually using a membership.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

They have outlets here in Albuquerque, but the reviews on Yelp are terrible...namely, that they are frauds about the $10 a month deal. Maybe it's a local situation, not sure, but apparently it's just about impossible to end your membership.
  8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I know nothing about Planet Fitness, but I'd read the fine point on that. I belonged a gym that told you that, but you could only bring each guest twice before they were ineligible.
  9. farmerjerome

Fine print checked, no limits. I checked the Yelp reviews for the surrounding areas and they're not too bad. The only thing I wouldn't count on is the gym staying open 24/5 during the week. Our town just will not have the business to support that.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Planet Fitness is OK, I guess. I had a membership there for a year or so, then canceled it when I moved out of the area ... they still send me bills every month, years later, even after phone calls with managers and registered letters, etc.
  11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

You've got to buy the $20 membership for correct spelling.
  12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

What wicked said. Be careful with fitness chains, because, in the fine print, they can get your credit card number and continue to withdraw cash, even if you've claimed you're stopping.

Premier Fitness in Canada was notorious for this.
Draft saved Draft deleted