1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plane stolen, crashes near SeaTac Airport

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The entire narrative under "Flight details" is absolutely incredible.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yep, that’s it. Damn right. A FedEx employee (friend) at Memphis told me about it. Well prior to 9/11.

Now, THAT fully loaded plane was found to have exceeded its design specs because of the seriously wounded pilot’s evasive maneuvering to throw the attacker off his feet. The plane could have broken up in midair.

3. Vombatus

Here’s a transcript of the FedEx attack. If I can find the actual audio recording, you can follow this transcript to make more sense out of what you are hearing, which is, of course, harrowing to hear.

Fedex 705 CVR Transcript

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprised that hasn't been made into a movie. Figure you could do it cheaply, only needing a dozen or so actors (more if you want to flesh out the backstory), It would make people say "Sully who?".

Vombatus likes this.
  5. Slacker

It's a cargo plane. Not enough plot lines there to go 90 minutes.

6. Slacker

Batman likes this.
  7. Vombatus

The guy really had this thing planned out, down to watching the crews and their schedules. He scheduled his jumpseat flight for a crew of three women, thinking they’d be easier to overpower. But that crew got bumped - their max time on the clock timed out due to some delays.

So, the flight crew changed out to three guys that were substantially bigger.

You want another depth to the story? Find that originally scheduled flight crew, and work them into the before and after. Whew, talk about how a few minutes could change your fate.

8. Vombatus

Pretty good summary. I caught three errors in the subtitles - Calloway was scheduled as a deadhead passenger to sit in the jump seat. He was NOT the flight engineer of the first crew, nor of the second crew. There was something else in there that wasn’t right, but I can’t remember it at the moment.

The video used the ATC recordings.

The CVR has audio of the whole fight. Screaming, cussing, scary as all hell.

9. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

How on earth did this dude learn how to fly a plane? This has not been reported. He must of had many hours on a flying simulator just like the 9/11 boys. Perhaps this might be a national security concern.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised what flight simulation programs on computers can do. Might not so much be what they teach you, but they get you familiar and comfortable with how planes work, and where things are. Shoot even I know you throttle up and once you hit speed you pull the stick back to take off. A guy working around the planes? Has a few conversations with some pilots? Not surprised at all.

11. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

He mentions learning from “playing video games” in the audio.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Saw a link on Twitter this morning that he was a ramp worker not a mechanic. Also said he was part of the tow crew.

As already mentioned with video games and sims flying is not super hard. Pilots get paid for when something goes wrong and most passenger planes today are fully automated, just need to know what buttons to push.

If he was a Tow Crew agent then he had a good working knowledge of taxi and runways and wouldn’t have had much trouble knowing where to go to get the plane in the right position for take off. Tow crew agents know where most of the switches and buttons are, bit of time in a video game sim and away you go.

Stealing a plane like this guy did would be remarkably easy.

Draft saved Draft deleted