1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plane crash in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 6, 2013.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Somewhat surprising he's still able to stand there and shoot video. Would have thought that sort of thing would be shut down on security grounds.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I just noticed this as I was looking at some photos this morning. I hope I'm never part of an emergency evacuation, but heaven help you if you're slowing everyone's exit because you're trying to manage the eight carry-ons you brought with you.

Damn idiots.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Good lord, you survive a wreck like that then get killed by an ambulance?

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Horrible, isn't it? My very uneducated wild guess would be something like her friend slipped or collapsed and she stopped to help. Or else she collapsed. If the other friend was fatally injured on the plane, though, you wonder what happened specifically to her that didn't to anyone else.

Latest update is the first two emergency slides opened inside the plane and they had to hack them down with an axe to stop them suffocating at least one flight attendant. Wonder if that's why they were only deployed on one side -- although I believe the safety standards are set based on only half the exits being available.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is why I always comply when they tell me to turn off my electronics when landing.

Annoys me when other don't.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think he's shooting from Old Bayshore Road south of the airport in Burlingame. Lots of hotels along that stretch and there's a bikepath right along the water's edge with agreat view of the runways which are quite a ways away.

I always felt alot safer flying into SFO (on a clear day) than DIA or Stapleton, where the wind knocks you all over the place on final approach. That accident is clearly pilot error, not airport-safety related.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Although he was new to the 777s, the pilots were all experienced. The airline said one of them had been with the airline since 1996, another (the one who was flying) since 1994. It's not like the crew was straight out of flight school.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SF-plane-crash-Crew-tried-to-abort-landing-4650990.php

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Taking off/landing at DIA is always an adventure, especially going/coming from the West as you hit the Front Range and the wind throws the plane around. But I've done it so much I guess I'm used to it, though I've gone through two touch-and-go aborted landings at DIA.

But seeing water get closer and closer and closer as you land ... just freaks me out more.

9. Armchair_QB

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw it too. I've stayed at one of those hotels and have been on that path. There's a park where you can sit and watch the planes come in too, IIRC.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Chicago Sun-Times apologizes for apparently unintentional use of "Engrish" in its headline:

http://now.msn.com/chicago-sun-times-headline-about-asiana-airlines-criticized-for-being-racist

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Instrument Landing Sysyem, or ILS, had been shut down on that runway because of construction. That's what provides a glide path for pilots.

http://www.ryot.org/instrument-landing-system-had-been-shut-down-on-runway-28-in-san-francisco-crash/250033

12. Armchair_QB

Understand what they were trying to do but holy shit.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted