1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer to cut 38 in newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Oct 8, 2008.

1. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Good one. It's probably true.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If this gets to the layoff round, this is where a union's seniority rules ought to prevail, assuming it has them. Not eager to see recent hires sent packing, especially Windhorst, who owns the Cavs beat. But it was the new regime that hired them despite the well-established climate of necessary (or at least desired) cutbacks. Those bosses should be the ones pink-slipped, for being so stupid and short-sighted.

Throwing out people whose only failing is that they were hired by a previous editor -- or have been around long enough to have gotten a few raises -- is a bullshit approach. Downsizing by letting openings go unfilled is the only humane way to do it. Beyond that, a union needs rules that prohibit cutting by sheer favoritism or targeting those making somewhat higher salaries.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Agreed wholeheartedly. To me, it just seems mean-spirited.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That sucks.

If you read the comments, the reason for all the cuts is because the paper's too LIBRUHL.

However, one gentleman too offense at one person who cancelled their subscription because of Connie Schultz, a supposed rabid left wing godless woman who wrote about her family too much. Or something.

DunlopReggie...if morons like you cancelled your subscription because of a COLUMNIST that only appeared a couple of times a week -- then you are BIGGER MORONS!

Did you morons ever think of just not reading her column? Do morons like you always watch TV shows you don't like? Go to restaurants you don't like?

Good God morons like you continue to highlight the stupidity in NE Ohio.

I don't know. Just struck me as funny.

5. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Joe, it says in the story what their layoff criteria is:
    "Layoff criteria will follow provisions of the union contract, which include job performance, special skills or abilities, adaptability to future work assignments and length of service."

6. sg86

sg86 Member

Understandable.

I wasn't saying he deserved to go by any means.

But the man just had his beat ripped out of his hands without any real efforts to pad the act by the paper.

It was more an observation than a criticism.

But point taken.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So...non-union layoffs got health insurance, and the union layoffs don't? Isn't it the union's job to make sure stuff like that doesn't happen?

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Branson is literally the friend of a friend and I've spoken to him on the phone a couple of times before. He's a good dude. I won't cast any opinions on his talent or ability because I've never paid attention much to his writing.
    But the larger issue is — things are bad just about all over, if you're Branson, some nameless, faceless person grinding it out on the desk all day or just about anybody else in our business these days. Come to think of it, is there any industry (legitimate enterprises only) where there is job security these days?

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That sounds like management can pretty much make it up as it goes along. Everyone the current bosses have hired is a top performer and oh-so-adaptable to future work assignments, with all sorts of "special" skills. Those hired by previous bosses or making too much money, not very adaptable, special or top-performing.

What d'ya want to bet?

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

As noted above, the new hires will be the safest.

Pluto undoubtedly is exempt .... the new Cavs writer might be exempt, too. (Not union members, I mean.)

If a highly paid columnist is forced out, it won't be Pluto.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

Windhorst has what I believe is his first byline in the PD today.

George Thomas is on the Cavaliers beat for the ABJ, at least for now.

12. shallow_gal

shallow_gal New Member

At least for awhile. ABJ is in the process of offering more buyouts. They're not going to be hiring anyone else if layoffs are a possibility, and there is no one else within the department to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted