1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer outs judge as anonymous poster

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 26, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There's a thread just below about this judge. Not long ago she tried to have a PD reporter hauled into court to out an anonymous source. The source -- a fellow judge -- outed himself before any more came of it.

Now The PD has outed the judge as author of dozens of anonymous posts on its Cleveland.com website. Or at least the judge's email address. The judge's daughter is claiming to have authored some of the posts.

Of course the judge is only on the most high-profile case in recent Cleveland memory, that of an accused serial killer who had about a dozen bodies buried in his yard or walled up in his house.

PD site going nuts today over this.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/03/plain_dealer_sparks_ethical_de.html

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/03/post_258.html

PD says it didn't know the judge's email address was linked to the posts until the poster put something about a PD reporters relative on a post, which has since been deleted. At that point, a PD editor looked up the email address of the poster. The PD is now saying access to the email addresses of posters will be taken away from PD staff.

My opinion -- PD has completely abused its power in a personal vendetta.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As soon as anyone can find documentation that the P-D promised anonymity to those who post on its Web site, I will care. Until then, consder it a victory for those of us who would like to see some measure of accountability from the racists and hate-mongerers who troll those sites.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My opinion? Newspaper need to get rid of comments at the end of stories.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Word.

5. I tried to do a story on this a few weeks ago and was shut down by the EE, but not because of the promise of anonymity.
    The EE thought there still too many yet unresolved issues about outing posters on our website and he didn't want to be the trendsetter.

We have a council member and their spouse (a judge) who routinely anonymously post on stories in which they were quoted and use their posts to bash the mayor and other officials.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Wow, this is messed up. I need to read more on how the P-D handled it before I can offer an opinion on them. But I can initially say that the judge would be wise by removing herself off the case, regardless if she posted the comments or her daughter was posting them, as the daughter claims.

This brings back the Kurt Greenbaum fiasco: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/76152/

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Seriously, Bubbler is right. Newspapers online need to start shutting comments down.

There are far too many fucking idiots who'll post anything derogatory, insulting, and nonsensical comments. And then there are instances like this in Cleveland.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For Word.

9. But .. But ... But they generarte web hits and all the huge Internet ad dollars that comes with those hits.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And it wouldn't totally surprise me to find out that the same nut jobs, operating behind the cloak of anonmyous screen names, were further encouraged to act out in public as well on some of their threats. No proof ... just sayin' .

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Even though I get the joke, I couldn't help fixing this to bring it closer to reality (or perhaps, exactly as reality is).

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The way I understood it on the other thread, the personal vendetta initiated with the judge, who was extremely unprofessional.

Draft saved Draft deleted