1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer made columnist apologize to Cavs owner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter Burns, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The conversation ends once he lets out a 12-letter curse word. I don't get paid enough for that. If he want to talk, that's fine. If he want to curse, then I'm going to politely hang up the phone before I say something that will cost me my job.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It was hit or miss with this AD. There were times where I would write something and just brace myself for the aftermath and some times it didn't come. There were plenty of times where the call would come out of nowhere and I would be thinking, "You're mad about that?"

The timing of the call didn't bother me. I've always been a big believer of facing up to what you write. A lot of times I would get a call from someone and we'd talk it out and we'd be better as a result.

There was one time when an assistant called me up to chew my ass about something I wrote. After he said his piece, and made a very valid point, I said, "I never thought of it that way. I truly apologize."

I used that as an excuse to call him in the future and he verified some pretty big stories for me and I don't think that ever would have happened if I hadn't admitted to screwing up.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I block on Twitter for profanity, same as I hang up the phone and toss snail mail into the trash.
    Not surprisingly, I end up rooting for the biggest jerks to "go there," because it makes my end of things easier.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I swear enough on my own that I couldn't exactly play that card. When they make it personal, that's where I take issue, but that's a difficult one for some to interpret.

I will say this about the AD. I was so thick-skinned after covering that school that when I was covering the NFL, almost nothing fazed me. When Sean Payton tore into me over the phone and then the next day during postgame, I just started laughing.

Draft saved Draft deleted