1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer Layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is heartbreaking.

Honestly I don’t know how the Plain Dealer/Cleveland.com split works. But I feel like this 32 does not include the cleveland.com folks

Tweener likes this.
  3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I believe Cleveland.com is separate -- a union-busting technique that seems to have worked. No idea how many they have; anyone here know?

4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

It doesn't. The dotcom side is amateur hour, though, full of recent college grads, folks with little to no experience, all of whom work on the dirt cheap and I'm not certain whether they have any kind of benefits. Anyone who maintains a print subscription after today is a complete idiot.

Pretty sure they now have more sports columnists than reporters.

PS: The comments under the linked story just about say all you need to know about how fucked our country is.

5. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

6. cake in the rain

Paul Hoynes, Mary Kay Cabot come to mind as examples of people who make good money and have a lot of experience and who left the Guild to join Cleveland.com several years ago.

You're right about the print subscription, but you could say that about virtually any newspaper today.

7. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Did they actually leave the guild? They both appear to be Plain Dealer Reporters. Anything in the PD gets shoveled to Cle.com, so it's tough to tell.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Man, that's a shame. A lot of seriously talented people let go. Good people beyond their profession, too.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If a reporter makes a lot of money and is over a certain age, the reporter is bought out or let go. If a suit makes a lot of money ... that's expected and welcomed. Why?

10. cake in the rain

On the website, if the byline says "Cleveland.com" they're employed by the new company. If it says "Plain Dealer," they're employed by the old company.

11. sporty

sporty Member

I said this on another thread but the worst thing that union did was allow non-union workers to write for the newspaper. It use to be that PD could only use freelancers outside of a 50-mile radius, otherwise if you touched a computer and wrote anything for the newspaper from inside of the city limit you had to be a member of the guild. Giving that up allowed for Cleveland.com people to appear in the PD and therefore more those who remained with the newspaper layoffs in waiting. The guild should have walked and stayed out before allowing that to happen. Big mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted