1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer Indians writers will only cover "select" road trips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 12, 2016.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Mets did this a number of years ago in Anaheim, and made the firing after midnight eastern.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

So, on occasion and in place of a story, I guess they might have to run small box that says, "This edition does not include a story from last night's Indians game because the cable service on Elm Street, where our beat writer lives, was out."

Ace, Liut and BDC99 like this.
  3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Years ago - almost 20, actually - thee ProJo used to have something called "The ScoreLine," IIRC, to get West Coast scores. I remember being 8 or 9 years old trying to find out if the Sox beat the Angels or Mariners. The automated voice still rings in my head. The number was 401-277-7777. Can't remember what number I had to hit for scores, but I'll never forget calling that thing every day when the Sox went west.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Can't remember the last time I went to the local paper's website to read about one of the local teams.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

All that says is you're not much of a fan then. Most fans I know gobble up information wherever they can get it, especially free information. I go to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch several times a week to read about the Cardinals and I don't even consider myself that big a fan. Still, the diehards are there in the comment section every time I go. Trust me, they're reading it. They just ain't paying for it.

LongTimeListener and Riptide like this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Indeed. The local papers still have the best coverage. It's just that they make nothing off it.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

For every fan you see on a newspaper story's comment section, there's 10 on a blog's. And while they do sometimes link newspaper content, they generate far more of their own.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Probably right, since I'm not much of a fan of the teams in my area. Hometown coverage from where I grew up, though, is awful. The local paper's coverage is not better than tleague websites or national outlets.

9. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

For the full Cleveland effect, Johnny Manziel could star in the Charlie Sheen biopic.

If Manziel outlives Sheen, that is. If not, Sheen gets the Manziel role. They'll look about the same age by then.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I love (sarcasm) the way the Cleveland newspaper can make a decision like this and many of you just shrug and say it's inevitable, that newspapers are dead. Nobody wants to read them, etc. No ... newspapers are dead BECAUSE of many many cumulative decisions like this. Publishers always took their readers as fools and thought their reporters were replaceable incompetents. Both decisions, getting rid of established, controversial, compelling columnists and writers that people wanted to read and replacing them with bratty fanboys and girls, and stripping the paper of 80 percent of its content in the last 15 years, has made the consumer say, "Fuck you. I won't read that piece of shit you SOMETIMES place on my driveway." Newspapers truly aren't even worth wrapping fish in anymore and people know it. Believe what you want. Newspapers killed themselves with decisions like this times 50. Of course nobody's going to purchase a subscription to what publishers call a newspaper today. Big city newspapers don't even cover their teams on the road?? One huge LOL.

Any of you remember when newspapers had puzzles, comics, 20 pages of sports on weekends, arts, music, religion business coverage - and all of it local? Nobody's covering that now except superficially and the customers laughed long ago, were not fooled and said, 'I'll do without it. I'm not buying that piece of shit that gives me nothing.' What are newspaper reporters known for nowadays? Putting any new, useful information they get on Twitter, another company's Website, LOL!!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    justgladtobehere likes this.
  12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You're just wrong. Newspapers are dead for reasons that have nothing to do with that.

FileNotFound and YankeeFan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted