1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer Indians writers will only cover "select" road trips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 12, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And the mic has been dropped. BOOM goes the dynamite!

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"10 percent of life is what happens to you; the other 90 percent is how you react to it" --- Charles R. Swindoll

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

On the raise thing, BTE, I think you're in the severe minority.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Correct. I was going to respond point by point but once I got to that point it just got to he too depressing.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I mean, I've said this before ... I went EIGHT years without even a cost of living raise at my last paper, which was owned by Warren Buffet's company. I've already gotten two raises in seven months at my new job.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Shit. Only thing I have gotten in that span is a decent pay cut and a fair amount of furlough days.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

To be fair, I believe it's because I'm only four and half years at my current shop. Others at my place (with 20+ years of merit raises under them before things went south) are making so much that they don't get raises --- I believe I overheard one person with 26 years at the company say she hasn't gotten a raise in eight years.

At my previous shop I was the one with 20+ years of experience and a nice salary --- and I didn't get a raise for three years (2008-11). But I did get a nice 3 percent bump my last year there.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

We just got "raises" for the first time in a decade -- minimal ones. And that was after previous givebacks, which these raises did not even come close to rectifying, and a fair number of furlough days (although nothing like what the CNHI folks have dealt with).

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

At my place, we still get raises. But if you were hired during the "glory days" (2005 or earlier) at a high salary ($10,000-$15,000 more than I make as a four-year employee), the raise is 1 percent. It's possible to receive 3 percent if you were hired relatively cheap and "exceed expectations," but such raises are few and far between.

Of my two most recent previous employers, one has given one raise since 2007; the other went five years without raises before restarting them in 2012 (right after I left), but then nixed them again after an ownership change.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Warren Buffet, the charitable liberal?

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I just got a raise following two years where I was supposedly at the "top" of my pay scale. Of course the raise was a quarter, but it WAS a raise. (rolls eyes)

Draft saved Draft deleted