1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer guts union

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 28, 2018.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Cabot deserves to be criticized. Anybody in this business should be able to write the first sentence of a story without a critical mistake or omission. And she knows there are no copyeditors.

2. sporty

sporty Member

ChrisLong there you go letting logic get in the way of a good argument. You are right about her catching that in her lede, but damn it would be nice to have some backup to cover your butt.

3. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

sporty likes this.
  4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Fredrick hates suits. Fredrick loves copy editors. News organizations are really blowing it (again) by dumping so many copy editors. Nobody is perfect and with many writers/editors working 70 or more hours a week just to keep their jobs ... mistakes can and will happen. This is another sign of unqualified people running news organizations. These people are investor types. They know nothing about writing, reporting or copy editing or layout. Obviously the suits who have no background in journalism think copy editors do nothing but steal money. They are wrong. Funny to witness newspapers becoming the way of dinosaurs and rotary phones.

sporty likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Guild is down to about 30 people. Are there other reporters not covered by the Guild. How many will be left in sports, or is that still unknown?

Gatehouse paid 16 million last year for Akron. I still don't see how Newhouse could have passed that up given the opportunity to consolidate the two largest papers in the region.

8. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

No one who works at Cleveland.com is in the union. The Guild only covers the dwindling number of people employed by the Plain Dealer. (It's a subtle distinction, but you can see in the byline who their "official" employer is). I'm not aware of a single prominent sports reporter who is under the umbrella of the Plain Dealer, although I'm sure there must be at least one or two left. Maybe Terry Pluto?

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

What's stopping the dotcom employees from unionizing?

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

An overwhelming lack of leverage.

cake in the rain likes this.
  11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

In the dotcom era the jobs could easily moved elsewhere, including the Philippines. I am surprised that design centers have not already move there. I was in the Philippines four years ago and the design of the newspapers appeared OK.

P.S. I am totally serious and not trying to be snarky.

12. sporty

sporty Member

When did the PD union give up the mandate that no writer who is not in the union is allowed to write for or do anything for the newspaper? I remember as a high school senior wanting to do my volunteer senior project there (answering phones, filing or whatever they wanted me to do) for a month and while the sports editor wanted to I was not allowed because you had to be a member of the union to touch a computer or the phones there. When the union gave up that mandate they might as well had folded then.

Draft saved Draft deleted