1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer editor acknowledges vitriolic reader comments, throws up her hands

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 10, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

At least she acknowledges the problem. Her solution is rather laughable -- ask people to be nice.

http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index.ssf/2009/05/anonymity_of_the_internet_attr.html

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So she's been to our politics board, then...

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Translation: We'd rather "interact" with our readers than act responsibly by setting up a more rigorous registration requirement and/or subjecting comments to an approval process before they get posted.

It would be a good start to prohibit posts from highly disposable free e-mail accounts such as Yahoo and Hotmail. Yes, your comment traffic would decrease by 75 percent, but you would also rid yourself of perhaps 95 percent of dumber-than-your-mother's-tulip-plants fodder.

Quality, not quantity.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Oh, the pits and pratfalls of having a "conversation" with your reader-viewer-consumer.

5. lono

lono Active Member

But ... but ... it's free content!

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Except, when it comes to the Internet, it's quantity that pays the bills (er, at least in theory).

So this will not happen.

7. Reader comment threads should die, horribly, now.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

because we don't like them or because readers don't like them?

9. Because all too often they add nothing of substance to the debate. Better off without them.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

but by whose judgement are they adding nothing? i hate them as much as anyone but then i see stories that draw hundreds of responses so someone, somewhere likes them.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Re: Plain Dealer editor acknowledges vitriolic reader comments, throws up her ha

Newspaper reader comments are used by people who are piggybacking on your brand name and hiding behind anonymity to make comments that couldn't be published IN A STORY!!! in reasonable newspaper usage. They HURT the newspaper as a business enterprise by damaging its brand. I mean, if an advertiser, and I read most comment postings, I want nothing to do with your Internet readers. They're either nuts, scum, or both.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

And at my paper, the yahoos who "comment" begin, within three posts, to reduce the "conversation" to a pissing match which has nothing to do with the original anything. Exactly what benefit is that to anyone?

One time, one of our "commenters" began with him calling me an idiot, saying we didn't cover College A. I replied, under my own name, rebutted his argument, and called him the idiot, citing the evidence. I got called into an office and told I couldn't call people idiots, with or without evidence. So you can say what you want, however you want, and there is nothing you can or the paper is willing to do about it. Lovely.

The guy was an idiot, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted