1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Calvin Hobbes, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

They're sitting shiv tonight at the Market Garden Brewery.
    http://marketgardenbrewery.com/
    The bar's taking donations for the bar tab (last I heard, it was up over five grand). If you're feeling generous, or don't want to drink alone, you can call at 216-621-4000.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ironically, I'm kind of glad the Plain Dealer never called.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This disgusts me. Seriously disgusts me. Who owns this once great newspaper? What company is pulling this classless way of canning people?

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Newhouse owns it. Remember the Newhouse Pledge, which was if you did not join the union you would not be laid-off because of economic or technolgical changes.

When the newspaper downturn started the company announced that they were abandoning the pledge. Since it was a pledge, not a promise, it was not legally binding.

According to Forbes the two Newhouse brothers are worth 18 billion. I am normally not one to call the managers who order these layoffs heartless bastards. Most places it is necessary to keep the doors open. But in this case given the pledges that were made, the net worth of the owners and the fact that the company is privately owned it is appropriate to reserve a special spot in hell for the Newhouse brothers.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Newhouse employees should have done a mass sick-out for several days after that pledge was abandoned.

Draft saved Draft deleted