1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Calvin Hobbes, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

A Facebook friend at the Plain Dealer posts that editorial employees have been asked to stay home and wait for calls between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Wednesday.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Have a former coworker who is there. Says he's not going to dignify by picking up the phone and will sleep in.

3. MileHigh

And the former colleague is doing the right thing and hopefully everyone else follows: He's not picking up the phone.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

That'll show 'em.

5. MileHigh

It really won't, but small victories. Or whatever.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Reminds me of those NFL players who go out of their way to avoid the Turk. I remember one guy telling me the Turk would always catch the soon-to-be-former players as they came into breakfast, so guys who knew they were on the bubble would stop going to breakfast around the cutdown day.

Bottom line: They got cut anyway.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What if you have your friends fill up your voicemail and then just never answer the phone?

This discussion has come up before, and the general feeling among hiring/firing experts is that terminating someone by phone is the most cowardly and short-dicked way to do it. So at least the short-dicked cowards at the Plain Dealer have that going for them.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why answer your phone? If you're fired, you're not responsible to them anymore.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This was the method at my place one time. We were told to be near our phones starting at 8 a.m.

Phone rings at 8:15.

It's a friend from outside the business asking if I survived the layoffs.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I had one acquaintance in the business who didn't pick up his phone the day he was supposed to be laid off, which was the last day of the month, and came into the office the next day and clocked in. They laid him off. He claimed that since he clocked in on that day, that he was a worker on the first of the month, that he should get his health insurance for that month. The company, surprisingly, didn't fight it.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

While not exactly the most humane way of going about this, it sure beats what my shop did.

Layoffs were announced. They were done in an agonizing month-long period from department to department. We had no idea when the layoffs in the newsroom were going to take place. So we pretty much went three whole weeks knowing layoffs were looming but not knowing whether or not we were goners or not.

I survived. My buddy was sent to human resources in front of all of us.

At least everyone will know tomorrow if they pick up their phone. And if it were me, I'd be answering. I'd want to know. Having them tell me in person isn't going to stop the whole being fired thing.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

So. Fucking. Awful.

My best to all at the PD.

Draft saved Draft deleted