1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer buyouts, half dozen in sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Meant to post this last week, but the site was down. Story in the Plain Dealer listed some of the folks who took buyouts, including some longtime sports department fixtures:

http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/business/1161160660289790.xml?bxbiz&coll=2

Not a regular reader, but I think that's one columnist (Brown), the golf writer (Sweda), horse racing (Roberts) and NBA/Cavs (Graeff).

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's a lot of people not good enough to work at the Plain Dealer.

3. busuncle

busuncle Member

Graef used to be the Cavs beat writer, but I think he currently has more of a GA role. But I could be wrong.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

And in other Newhouse news...5 long-time sports deskers have taken buyouts in Newark and could be done by the end of the year

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Paging Ace.

Ace, please pick up the yellow courtesy phone.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Screw everybody.

And I'm good enough to get a buyout from the Plain Dealer, dammit.

7. Great, now I won't have to hear Roger Brown tell me how racist the Indians are for trading Coco Crisp.

8. busuncle

busuncle Member

Here's Dolgan's farewell column. Interesting read.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/116133413931410.xml&coll=2

9. healingman

healingman Guest

Buyouts ... layoffs. This is not something that's gonna make this business any better ... except, of course, for (all together now) the bean counters.

Well .. there are two desk jobs open at the Dallas Morning News if someone off the Good Ship P.D. wants to keep the steady flow of income and pack away the buyout into savings.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Of course, six months from now we'll see the ads for some of these positions.

Maybe by that time, the fools at Poynter or E&P will have awakened, removed their heads from the cracks of their asses and started to report on this stuff. Right now, though, we can enjoy the latest essay from the current recent grad/tool recounting his job search.

11. busuncle

busuncle Member

In defense of the PD, these buyouts were 100 percent voluntary and extremely generous. I'd be willing to venture that, adjusted for cost of living, PD reporters make more than almost anyone else in the country.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Come on, it wasn't that bad. I don't doubt he punched out McDowell. A lot of people did. Sam would get into beefs but he was too drunk to fight effectively and they'd easily knock him down. Dolgan didn't claim he named the Dawg Pound, he said he reported the players called the defense The Dogs.

If he had problems with humility, he wouldn't admit to oversleeping a World Series game on a bender or discuss the times he was demoted in his years at the PD.

Draft saved Draft deleted