1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plagiarized by a press release

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Babs, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's not your call on what to do if plagiarized. It's up to the higher-ups to fight that battle.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. The "chit" is goodwill from people who can help you down the line and that also has value.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've been plagued by press releases by never plagiarized.

4. Babs

Babs Member

So, plagiarism isn't wrong in the rest of the world? I recall being taught this forcefully in high school, regardless of future career.

I don't want to keep bringing this to the top, but I forgot to point that out yesterday and it bothered me.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is wrong, but that isn't the issue here. The issue is how do you best deal with it from here. They pulled it and apologized. You get some goodwill in the bank. If the person responsible is worth a damn, he will remember that and take care of you at some point without you asking. If not, asking still isn't going to get you anywhere.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's not a question of how wrong it is, it's a question of how serious it is.

For a journalist, it's incredibly serious. For a non-journalist, it may not be.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

there's no difference between 'journalists' and 'non-journalists'.

journalists require no professional license. it's not a licensed or certified profession.

there's no 'code of ethics' - except maybe your unwritten one - because there's no license.

what the hell is a 'journalist'? does TMZ do journalism? perez hilton?

8. RickStain

That's a ridiculous statement. A government license or recognition is not required for there to be a code of ethics or the existence of a distinction.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Not yet ...

10. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

the difference between an official and written code of ethics, and whatever you are describing, is the difference between professional and unregulated. how huge is that? so big you can't even grasp it.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Link here: http://www.aboutpublicrelations.net/ethics.htm

12. RickStain

Look, I get it. You've discovered one definition of the word 'professional' and want to use it in some semantic logical fallacy.

Draft saved Draft deleted