1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plagiarism runs rampant at Texas alt weekly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clerk Typist, Aug 6, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If a blog copies and pastes an article from the paper's site, they are doing the same thing as what that guy was doing in Texas.

Guy from Slate wrote the same thing...
    http://www.slate.com/id/2196810/

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well played.

3. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

I think the difference is that blogs (at least legit ones) link to the stories, giving credit where credit is due, and generating page views for the paper's site. I agree that without papers, blogs wouldn't have much info to work with it, but linking and quoting is a far cry from stealing wholesale and re-bylining.

4. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

That Slate story made me sick to my stomach. Plagiarism is sickening.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And the publication is folding.

http://gawker.com/400123/slate-article-causes-copying-texas-alt+weekly-to-quit-in-a-huff
    And a quote from the infamous plagiarizer.

"...It must have taken years of seasoned investigative know-how to push me off my lofty perch. It takes a dogged, intrepid journalist to expose the alleged wrongdoings of a 44-year-old college dropout who drifted from one lousy media job to another for 20 years; it takes courage to debase someone with a mouthful of cut-rate dentures who, up until 2007, lived in his parents' home for seven years due to near-fatal bouts of clinical depression; it takes a journalist of a certain caliber to torpedo a pathetic hack who has barely squeezed out a living for nearly a decade at seven cents a word."

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

1. Boo-fucking-hoo, Mark Williams. You stole somebody else's work. Of course, since you're a morning show talk host that probably comes naturally for you. Fuckabuncha you.

2. Somebody tell Gawker it's B-U-F-F-E-T-T. Two Ts in the name of the "Margaritaville" singer, only one if you're talking about an all-you-can-eat spread.

3. Again, fuckabuncha Mark Williams.

7. jps

jps Active Member

more from williams' letter ...

huh? you're not sure why an apology is deserved? really? even a bitter piece of copy/past filth should understand that, once caught, you ought to at least pretend to feel bad.

and to finish off his letter:

fuckabuncha.
    twice.

8. jps

jps Active Member

the letter was awful. but at least he wrote it himself. he could have just copied it from 'chapter 2,' after all

[/for mikey]

("I don't know what you expect to find out there ... you know what you want better than me. but there's one thing I do know. I know I can stand here watching you destroy everything I've ever wanted in my life, wanting to smash your face with my fists, because you won't make even the slightest effort to offer happiness and still know that I love you. you mean so much to me that I'm willing to take all your abuse and insults and insensitivity.
    "because that's what you need to do to prove I'm not going to leave you. I'm sick and tired of running from places and people and relationships. you want me, that fight for me, because I'm sure as hell fighting for you!")

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Outing alert: Mike Williams is henryhenry.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Here's the Houston Press link:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2008/08/montgomery_county_plagiarism.php

If Ladyman isn't Williams, I'm a suck-egg mule. (Paraphrasing Red Barber.)

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ahh here we go with the "why's everybody always picking on me?" defense.

As opposed to the "I didnt' do it" defense.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I love this: “I wish the whole deal could have been handled more professionally. But I think honestly it wouldn’t have been a story if it was handled professionally,” Ladyman says.

Right. Someone finding out you've lifted everything but the bingo listing for the women's American Legion auxiliary, and actually asking a question, and writing about it, is unprofessional? Sigh.

Draft saved Draft deleted