1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plagiarism question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Apr 6, 2008.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

depends on the sentences he lifted.

you wrote: Joe Shmoe is a 6-6 sophomore from Podunk, Ill.

he wrote: Joe Shmoe is a 6-6 sophomore from Podunk, Ill.

not plagiarism.

generic information does not belong to anyone. doesn't matter how you construct the sentence. you don't own the words that convey generic information.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Sounds like you got robbed, WB.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I guess my only question would be, if this is the same company, is there some kind of story-sharing policy in effect?

But even so, if whole paragraphs are listed word-for-word, it would seem you should be credited, either by double by-line or a tagline at the bottom or something.

4. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

OK, I used to not like you very much, but that was fucking hilarious.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they are lifting whole paragraphs without crediting you or your paper, it is plagiarism.

However, it's conceivable that the desk have added some information from a sister paper and failed to credit you, so then it would not be plagiarism on the writer's part.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why do I think that six consecutive words that are the same is plagiarism?

Maybe I'm getting that confused with citing a source or using quotes in a research paper?

No way do you pull other people's stuff. I would report it.

Maybe send a copy of your story to the other person's editor?

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Take note of it. If -- and this is a big hypothetical, given the state of the business -- you hear this person is up for a better job somewhere, have a friend send the evidence to the potential new employer. People who steal others' work need to be stopped.

Draft saved Draft deleted