1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plagiarism in Greensboro

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Oct 6, 2009.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

http://www.news-record.com/blog/56184/entry/71945

This really bums me out. Robert is someone I looked up to when I passed through that newsroom, and I'm having a really hard time understanding how this happened. I feel like the public explanation the paper is giving is inadequate.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: Plagarism in Greensboro?

Why the question mark in the headline?

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Re: Plagarism in Greensboro?

Too bad about Robert. I liked him in the brief period we worked together.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Re: Plagiarism in Greensboro?

I guess because I don't quite believe it. I'd like to see a side-by-side on what they're calling plagiarism. Fixed the typo in the hed, though. If folks think I should take the ? out, I will.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: Plagiarism in Greensboro?

Hey, I feel you. But the paper wrote that it fired him for it so I don't think there's much question.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

whose stuff did he lift?

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

wow. pretty stunning.

From what I knew of Robert, he was as hard a worker as there was.

This also further depletes the N&R Sports staff, which was already pretty much bare-bones.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Good lord, you're not kidding. If their staff directory is right, they were down to six sports staffers WITH Bell. I can't even comprehend how we got to a point where a paper that size has a staff that small.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm not going to defend plagiarists (though I have wondered elsewhere on this board if it should always be a death-penalty offense for a journalist's career).

I just wish that explanations about such instances were more clear and precise.

It is quite possible for a lazy writer to steal another person's work and for that content to be fair, accurate and true. Meanwhile it also is quite possible for a lazy writer to fabricate an incident, an event or a person entirely, which isn't exactly plagiarism but doesn't get anywhere close to accuracy or truth. And, to me, that is a way worse offense because fiction has no business being passed off as fact, while most readers don't give a crap who actually wrote most of the stories they read.

Seems to me this explanation to the readers should have focused on "misrepresenting another's work as his own," thereby breaking the trust relationship that a reporter needs with both editors and readers.

Most of the time, though, I'd bet that what plagiarists swipe from other sources is fair, accurate and true. Only the byline part is a lie.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and this makes it less wrong?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Different wrong, at least.

But in the sense of misleading readers, yeah, maybe less wrong than the other. Not saying it's an innocent mistake or a minor transgression, but making up stuff -- as certain noted successful writers in this business have done and continued to work -- strikes me as much worse.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

"Different" wrong?

Wrong is wrong. Just as dead is dead, even if you didn't mean to run him over.

Draft saved Draft deleted