1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Places to eat/drink in New Orleans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Brookerton, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Crawfish, I believe, start showing up at the beginning of the year, peak in spring and should be tailing off (pun intended) right now. So many crawfish are farmed now though that it seems like crawfish season really just affects how many crawfish specials there are at restaurants and how readily available boiled crawfish is. Oysters peak in February and are not in season right now because it's not an "r" month, a month with an "r" in it. Basically, they're not good because the gulf water is too warm. Oysters I wouldn't eat out of season, including Oysters Rockefeller at Antiones, which invented the dish. I think it's crabs that are good right now. And shrimp are pretty much year-round.

Simon, I thought Lafitte's Landing closed (not having to do with Katrina) and the guy opened up a bed and breakfast (with awesome food) out that way. I could be wrong on that though. Do you know?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yes, crawfish are a springtime treat only.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Fucccccck.

I haven't been there in 10 years.

I will trust your info, and now be very depressed.

4. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i second central grocery for a muffuletta sandwich for lunch, cafe du monde for breakfast and acme for lunch/dinner. some of the brennan family restaurants are solid. i also had a nice meal at emeril's nola restaurant.

if you get a free night, see what band is playing at the maple leaf or tipitina's.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just found my receipt from Galatoire's... $300 for four of us and that was with probably very little (if any) alcohol... Still a great experience...

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

A fire destroyed the place a few years ago, but it was reopened in the former home of John Folse, the chef out there. Folse is a very well respected Cajun/Creole chef -- he's got a TV show, a radio show, he's written a couple of books, he's got a big business making sauces and soups for national restaurant chains.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

I was there last weekend, and cannot more enthusiastically endorse Acme Oyster House, which is the first place I head to when I'm down there. Get a dozen raw oysters, a Peacemaker po-boy (fried oysters and fried shrimp on French bread), and a cup of seafood gumbo. Abita is pretty good, too.

The Red Fish Grill on Bourbon across from the side entrance of the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel was excellent. Get the Louisiana blue crabcakes and hickory grilled redfish.

And, please, whatever you do, go to Cafe Du Monde and get beignets. They're like packing funnel cake goodness into a sopapilla shape. Best baked good ever.

I went to the Copper Monkey Bar, too. It's a perfect place if you're trying to catch a ballgame on TV while getting away from the hustle and bustle of Bourbon Street.

And if you wanna hear good, laid-back jazz, go to Maison Bourbon on Bourbon Street. Hopefully Jamil Sharif will be in the house.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Acme Oyster House is great... So is Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse...

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Galatoire's is the best restaurant in New Orleans, period.

It's expensive, but worth it. It's not too hard to get a table, but you might have to wait an hour. Just go upstairs to the bar and wait it out.

Mother's is overrated.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Aggggghhhh!

Blasphemer.

All these recommendations have been good. It's pretty hard to fuck up an eating experience in New Orleans, unless you're noshing on whatever animal-on-a-stick is being served on the street.

The best boudin I've ever had down there is made in the back kitchen at a gas station in Metarie.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

pascal's manele. get the b'bqued shrimp. best in the city.

i laugh about cafe du mont and beignets. in brooklyn -- and else where in the n.y. area, they're called "zeppoli's." any pizza joint worth its salt makes 'em. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted