1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Placemarker text fail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DoctorFace, May 17, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My best flub was a girls' basketball tournament story. I hit the spacebar at the wrong time and "that it's strength" came out as "tha tit's strength."

Not sure what "tit strength" actually is...but I am for it!

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I hope that got you some free beers.

3. spikechiquet

My part-timer at the time said he fell off the shitter laughing and had to call me to tell me.

Not sure if it was pre- or post-wipe.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've seen softball stories describing how Betty Brickhouse "came through with two big tits in clutch situations."

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Redshirt freshman can also be a hazardous word to be typed furiously on deadline.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

During one of my stops as a newsside copy editor, walked in and saw the sports guy in hysterics. So I asked what was up, and he told me AP had moved an advisory to kill all copies of a baseball gamer because it had a profanity. So he looked for the original story and saw reference to someone hitting a "two-run shit." Of course we complied ... but not before making prints for ourselves.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i dunno, bubs. if you can't tell the guy he's a fuckstain in the middle of the season and have to resort to this type of shit ... you're, IMO, a big vagina.

8. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Yeah, you have to tell the coach prior to this that he needs to be calling in his stuff.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One of our shooters put Romensko's story on my Facebook page ... not the update:

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/05/18/that-damn-coach/

10. Its funny you mention this. One of the writers at my shop was telling me he was talking to a local high school softball coach last season and the coach was telling him it's a circle and not a mound. The writer interviewed him a few weeks ago and the coach used mound in a quote.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

But did he beat the 24-second shit clock?

12. spikechiquet

I always made sure to mention circle and not mound...my old publisher who used to be the SE told me to stop since "it's confusing" to the readers and to use mound.
    I left the job before the following softball season, so not sure if that ever got resolved.

Draft saved Draft deleted