1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Place your bets, place your bets ... on Pop Warner football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 30, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Totally possible. But with you it's way more fun the other way. Bonus points this time because it took two posts for you to comprehend the very basic point I was making.

The AAU guys are dirtier, but the Pop Warner guys are crazier, if that makes sense.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It does actually.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This IS an old story, but saw the first part of Outside the Lines today and they just arrested a bunch of the coaches, so that's why it has resurfaced.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The arrests are new. And to keep things straight, Orange County, Calif., is where the Pop Warner bounty system was in place.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Someone say "Place your bets"?

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's fashionable to claim college football players are exploited. Sorry. These -- the pre-teens -- are the most exploited kids associated with football.

Flip side: By the time they get to the U, for example. they've been seduced by the culture and fixated on it. They're not naive victims anymore. They know precisely what they're getting into when they sign with a program bankrolled by Nevin Shapiro et al. In fact, that's precisely why they become Hurricanes: so they can get their share.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The latest example being a 9-year-old girl being profiled on SportsCenter for her Pop Warner exploits. It's a good story, and I know we have a thread on it here, but your post made me think of it. I sort of cringed when ESPN did its piece on her this afternoon.

Draft saved Draft deleted