1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pizza Hut is dead, long live The Hut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 19, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/pizza-hut-changes-its-name.aspx?GT1=33009

LOL @ the bolded portion.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Hey what are you doing tonight? Going to the clubz or hangin' with the boyz?

Nah, I'm going to The Hut!

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

As a former employee, color me unsurprised.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Some marketing guru who thinks he's a genius just lost his company a big account.

This is right up there with New Coke as one of the stupidest ideas ever to come down. Pizza Hut is an iconic name. "The Hut" sounds like some place where the really seedy guys go between cruising and hitting on the attendant at the gas station while they buy smokes and cokes.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

God help us all.

I'd like to think a twenty something with a marketing certificate from Podunk Community College came up with this.

Sadly, it will be some Harvard MBA who'll talk about rebranding and repurposing

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Wow, does this mean they're going to have a doorman and a velvet rope at the entrance?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Did a little googling for more info, and it's more like a marketing campaign than a name change.

There was a quote where a Pizza Hut exec compared it to "Coca-Cola" calling itself "Coke" in all its ads without actually changing the name.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

And pasta at Pizza Hut? That's like Sandwiches at Starbucks, or gourmet coffee at McDonalds. Do one thing and do it well. Pizza Hut should concentrate on you know, pizza. In terms of chains, I don't think that Pizza Hut is all that bad. (being a pizza snob that is a pretty good compliment)

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, it's always a good idea to mess with the brand name recognition of what I'm assuming is the most successful pizza chain in the country.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Surprised they didn't go with "P-Hut," just to further cement their out-of-touch ineptitude.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Pizza Hut is the worst fucking pizza in the world. Big slabs of greasy dough covered in some sort of "cheese food".

Makes me want to puke just thinking about it.

And I'm not a pizza snob--I don't mind Pizza Pizza (sorry fellow Canucks)

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can think of a lot more "Huts" out of business than in business around my town.

Draft saved Draft deleted