1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Steelers Beat Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Apr 12, 2012.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

From APSE. I imagine this is the biggest of big boy jobs and comes with nearly every seal of approval out there.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review seeks an aggressive, experienced reporter to be the Steelers beat writer.

Applicants must be familiar with all news platforms, including Twitter, blogs and video reports. We are looking for someone who can develop unique stories that differentiate our coverage from the rest of the pack. Applicants must have at least five years of experience at a newspaper with at least 75,000 circulation, including time as a beat reporter of a professional or major college sports team. A competitive spirit is critical in this two-newspaper city. Trib

Total Media newspapers have a circulation of more than 201,000 and growing. Our offices are on Pittsburgh’s North Shore, between PNC Park and Heinz Field.

To apply, send cover letter, resume and work samples to Administrative Editor Mark Gruetze and Executive Sports Editor Kevin Smith, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 503 Martindale St., Pittsburgh, PA 15212; email: mgruetze@tribweb.com and ksmith@tribweb.com.

2. bbb1978

bbb1978 Member

Lucky man or woman who gets this job. Lucky with serious, massive skills, of course.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Just curious, not for my own sake, but for the sake of discussion. The ad says applicants must have five years covering a major beat at a 75K-plus daily. But I wonder if they would consider someone who's done 5-10 as the beat guy/gal at some place like Tuscaloosa or Lawrence, where they're the hometown paper for a very high-level college program.

4. Obligatory who left and where did he/she go question?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My guess (pure guess) is they might be flexible for, say, a 'Bama-level college writer at an under-75k paper. But they'll also definitely get applicants from the 75k-plus papers, so it might be an uphill battle.

Then again, you can't be considered if you never apply.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Know of several guys send stuff to Mark about other openings. Never heard a peep. That's not cool.

7. Walter White

Walter White New Member

I'm in no way qualified for this position, just graduated August and have worked in two smaller papers for four years, but I did apply for an internship here in college and didn't care for how they communicated. A few people I went to school with had similar issues. Not sure if it's just because it was an internship or what, but it was certainly disappointing.

As a Steelers' follower for years this would be the ultimate dream job. Congratulations to whoever gets it.

8. Not trying to be argumentative, but every person who applies for a job needs to get a response? I would imaging they get a ton of applicants for this position, considering the market and size of the paper. Now, I know this goes both ways, they have a bigger HR department and can at least send out a form rejection letter, but unless you make the next round, I wouldn't expect to hear anything.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I don't expect a response unless there's some level of interview, something that set up a more realistic chance at getting the job ...

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

No they don't need a response. However, this has occurred for several positions and those who have applied aren't rookies in the business. I fully understand what you are saying but in a couple of instances, guys have talked to Mark personally and were told they'd hear from him. He obviously went another route but still, it's a piss poor way to do business. You'd expect that type of response going for a job at Burger King or McDonald's, not a "professional" organization.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The first story you file is on Russ Grimm being named the Steelers' coach.

12. That's different . . . they already spoke to him personally. I would expect something in a way of response in that circumstance as well. I interviewed for a gig there about five years ago. They don't see to be an overly personable shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted