1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Dec 19, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And yet, a lot of people would kill to get a foot in the door at the metro. They won't be making $25K forever.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To back up shot's point, while I understand all the warnings, that is all they should be -- warnings. So if this seems like a worthwhile job for somebody here, they have an idea about the history and they are properly prepared.

But this is still a metro. There are some good people there. Despite the issues some might have with the place, it could be a very good fit for some people.

3. BlueJacket99

BlueJacket99 New Member

Agreed. There's so much misinformation out there. I'm not sure where the $25K figure came from, but a friend got hired on the desk there a few years back for $35K. The Trib will never pay like top-end major metros, but Pittsburgh is an affordable city, so a salary in the mid-30s can go pretty far.

Sure, the Trib has its problems, but what paper doesn't?

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What is the misinformation that's out there? Correct us.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

35K for a desk position at the Trib?

What is that for -- the total of a five year contract?

If this job pays one dollar more than 22K, consider yourself lucky.

I interviewed for two jobs there and both were at 21K and that wasn't that long ago.

It is a sweat shop and a horrible newspaper.

But I agree, hey, you might get some clips from it.

Here is the question I always ask -- how many people from the sports section of this rag have gone on to bigger things at bigger papers?

And if you get 25K, it might be your salary for life so be careful.

6. outofplace

Don't hold back there, Zag.

Thing is, I believe you and BlueJacket. The salary structur is low overall, but kind of all over the place. They pay some people. Just not most.

7. Notepad

Notepad Member

The Trib is a "major metro" because of its location at that is all.

It is run like a high school rag and, no, I cannot think of one sports writer who left there for a bigger paper.

8. PDT635

PDT635 New Member

Is there anyone who can give us the other side of the coin, maybe some positives about this place?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

PDT, everyone I've dealt with there, being from another part of the state, has been great to work with.

10. BlueJacket99

BlueJacket99 New Member

Zag - Were the jobs you interviewed for on the Trib desk, or were they writing jobs for the Connellsville Daily-Courier? I know the salary structure is pretty odd because of all the smaller papers the Trib owns, but they will pay talented copy editors with some experience.

As for positives, Jerry DiPaola, the former Steelers beat writer and now the high school editor, is well-respected. And some of their writers, such as Kevin Gorman and Joe Starkey, are certainly talented enough to move to bigger papers if they wanted to.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I dealt with the Trib once and they were nothing but professional.

12. outofplace

Exactly. Gorman is a guy who simply wants to stay in Pittsburgh. Not sure about Starkey's reasons, but he was very good on the Penguins beat before moving to columnist.

Joe Bendel is a talented guy who left, but it was for a radio job.

Draft saved Draft deleted