1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review ASE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Wonderlic, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Company: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Position:
    ASSISTANT SPORTS EDITOR
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    March 10, 2008
    Job ID: 862918

Description:
    The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review seeks an editor to lead the night sports staff. This position is the No. 2 job in the sports department of an aggressive metropolitan paper. We cover it all in a sports-obsessed area, including three pro teams, five Division I universities and some of the country's best prep programs. Applicants must have strong design, word and organizational skills. The editor must be able to meet multiple production deadlines and manage change. A sense of competition is equally important in this two-newspaper city. Weekend shifts are required. Applicants must have supervisory experience and at least five years at a 50,000-plus circulation paper. The Trib, circulation 200,000, is based in one of the few American cities with competing, independently owned newspapers. Offices are on Pittsburgh's North Shore, between the Pirates' PNC Park and the Steelers' Heinz Field. Pittsburgh, named the country's most livable city in 2007, is home to several universities and has a thriving arts scene. The Trib is an equal opportunity employer. Send resume and work samples to: Mark Gruetze, Administrative Editor, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 503 Martindale St., Pittsburgh, PA 15212. E-mail: mgruetze@tribweb.com.

2. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly Guest

It's the same job description as their earlier ad, but with a different title. What gives?

From -- jj.com

Company: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Position:
    DEPUTY SPORTS EDITOR
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    January 14, 2008
    Job ID: 862918

Description:
    The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review seeks an editor to lead the night sports staff. This position is the No. 2 job in the sports department of an aggressive metropolitan paper. We cover it all in a sports-obsessed area, including three pro teams, five Division I universities and some of the country's best prep programs. Applicants must have strong design, word and organizational skills. The editor must be able to meet multiple production deadlines and manage change. A sense of competition is equally important in this two-newspaper city. Weekend shifts are required. Applicants must have supervisory experience and at least five years at a 50,000-plus circulation paper. The Trib, circulation 200,000, is based in one of the few American cities with competing, independently owned newspapers. Offices are on Pittsburgh's North Shore, between the Pirates' PNC Park and the Steelers' Heinz Field. Pittsburgh, named the country's most livable city in 2007, is home to several universities and has a thriving arts scene. The Trib is an equal opportunity employer. Send resume and work samples to: Mark Gruetze, Administrative Editor, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 503 Martindale St., Pittsburgh, PA 15212. E-mail: mgruetze@tribweb.com.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sounds like maybe they moved some people around. By looking at the old ad, I don't think this was ever going to be exactly the same job as the one Mike Orfanopoulos had (he's moving elsewhere in the company, as mentioned on the previous thread about this job). This was always listed as a night job and unless something changed in the last year or so, Mike primarily worked daylight shifts.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Instead of starting a third thread about this gig, figured I'd just add to the second one.
    The job has been reposted. Again.
    Anyone know the scoop?

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Pay is likely 19K, 21K if you have more than 10 year's experience.....

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

what exactly is their circulation? cause I heard it's actually closer to 65k, but because they count ALL the different papers they put out, they only claim its a 200k daily.

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Can you survive in Pittsburgh for that kinda money? How much do they pay reporters if an editor gets that low an amount for 10+ years experience?

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Um, he was joking on the pay.

9. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Ah sorry, I thought this was actually the real salary for some reason.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

It's all good. Now get me a damn beer, noob.

11. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Sure what do you want? Tap or bottle? hey and for the record, only my mom can call me that lol.

12. Do you still have to work with sports editor Kevin Smith? The man treated me like chewed gum on the bottom of his loafer when I applied and interviewed there once.

Draft saved Draft deleted