1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Trib-Review, Steelers Beat Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Jul 18, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, come on...spill.

Seriously, I don't see the point of saying they hired someone but not giving out the name. These things leak. I doubt they're going to be tracing it back to you.

2. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Anybody else find it funny that we'll gossip and spill beans on everyone but ourselves?

Reminds me of the two Fox News guys who were recently kidnapped and released in Iraq. After their release, they pleaded for privacy with their families. But had these two been reporting the story instead of being it, you know mics and cameras would be in the faces of those kidnapped.

Anyway, I digress.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Leak? If they've already hired the person, what's there to leak? I dare say if we know, the guy's boss almost certainly knows. And if he doesn't, what are they going to do, fire him? Sheesh!

4. Running Bear

Running Bear Member

Since the season starts in just over a week, it's probably safe to say the Trib sports editor knows. It's safe to say the guy who got hired knows. And I'd be willing to guess he's told his employer by now, too.

That is assuming he is an outside hire? Out of state perhaps?

Do we know that at least?

What, we're going to have to wait until the season starts to start checking bylines?

We already know Darlington got the Miami Herald gig. If they can put that out there, I mean ... that's a big-time beat. Not that this isn't a good job, because it is. It's covering the NFL for crying out loud. But it shouldn't be that big a deal to let out who got the job.

5. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

Scott Brown. I don't know where he's from.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Absolutely. That's why I firmly believe whenever we end up in a story, we need to suck it up and be accessible and open, regardless of how difficult the circumstances may be. I feel it's our duty. People really piled on Mariotti for supposedly milking the Ozzie Guillen feud, but to decline to talk about it would have been hypocritical for someone in this profession.

7. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060821/COLUMNISTS0302/608210330/1002/BUSINESS01

Congratulations and good luck, Scott.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thank you, Danny.

Looks like a he's got some impressive notes on the resume, though it doesn't appear he's done an NFL beat before. Then again, the Trib doesn't have the pay scale to steal a veteran beat guy, so hiring a reporter with a good resume who wants a shot at an NFL beat makes a lot of sense.

9. floridasun

floridasun Member

Scott is talented and a good guy. He also placed in APSE (40,000-100,000) this past year. Good luck to him.

EXPLANATORY

1, David Ramsey, Colorado Springs Gazette
    2, Burke Noel, Spartanburg (S.C.) Herald-Journal
    3, Brian Hendrickson, Columbian, Vancouver, Wash.
    4 (tie), Drew Markol, Doylestown (Pa.) Intelligencer
    4 (tie), Scott Brown, Florida Today

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That linked column... boy, I hope there is more under the hood than that.

11. busuncle

busuncle Member

Oh, give me a break. It's a small-college notebook.

Please feel free to post a random story of your own so we can see how it's done.

12. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

Geez, touchy already. But never fear, the random article is actually a series of books:

http://www.imdb.com/keyword/author/columbo/

Draft saved Draft deleted