1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Trib-Review, Steelers Beat Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Posted on journalismjobs.com today (July 18) ...
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=660975

Company: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review 
    Position: Pittsburgh Steelers beat writer 
    Job Status:  Full-time 
    Salary:  Not Specified 
    Ad Expires:   August 22, 2006
    Job ID: 660975

Description:
    The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review seeks a talented and innovative beat reporter to cover the Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. The ideal candidate should have strong knowledge of the entire NFL and be able to break news in a competitive market. The candidate must have the ability to go beyond the normal beat routine and suggest and write enterprise stories on a regular basis throughout the season. NFL beat experience is preferred. Salary commensurate with experience. Please send resume, 10 clips and a plan for how you think the beat should be covered to: Kevin Smith, Executive Sports Editor, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 503 Martindale Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 or ksmith@tribweb.com.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Sorry, rbtdevs. I edited your post just to change the thread title to clarify it for the eager beaver job hunters out there. No hard feelings, I hope.

This is one of those rare BIG BOY jobs you see. Wonder if it's posted only as a formality and a few candidates are already in mind.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I wonder if someone got fired for being on vacation when Big Ben rolled his motorcycle.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Wow. Wasn't last year Bendel's first on the beat?

5. Grey

Grey Member

the timing certainly is odd (horrible) unless they already know who their quick fix is.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

No offense taken at all, Idaho. You have what, 5,500 more posts than me? I will remember to do it correctly next time I do a post. Thanks.

7. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

This is a good job, but I would think that among NFL beat gigs, this one would be pretty well down the list. Great market as far football goes, but the Trib-Review is the smaller paper in a competitive market and is owned by a flaky billionaire.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Their quick fix will probably be Jerry DiPaola, who is still there as high school sports editor, until they can find a permanent replacement. No way can they bring in everyone, interview and hire within two weeks.

9. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Uh, yeah, flaming. But how many of those actually have an opening?

10. Agitator

Agitator New Member

They should also put in the ad, "Please try to not get your ass handed to you regularly by Ed Bouchette at Post-Gazette." You're going to have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat him for a story. He's got that team covered. I still remember when he broke the story Levon Kirkland was getting cut. That was news to everybody, especially Kirkland.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If what I heard and read is correct, Bendel quit to take a full-time radio job. Never thought he sounded all that good on the radio when I've heard him, but hey, good for Joe. He's better than people give him credit for, but that was a tough spot he moved into.

I assume DiPaola will fill in until they make the hire. They have some internal options, but I doubt any of them gets it. Anybody who has any questions, PM me and I can tell you more.

I will say that there is some good and some bad here. The positive is it's not just an NFL beat, it's the defending Super Bowl champions in a football-crazy town. Between Roehtlisberger's recovery from the motorcycle accident, rumors that this is Bill Cowher's last season and Santonio Holmes' rap sheet, there are great stories to tell here.

The tough part is Bouchette will probably beat you to most of those stories. He's good at what he does and he absolutely has that organization wired. Plus, the Trib isn't exactly known for a generous pay scale.

Still, if I had the resume and I could make the move, I'd be all over this one.

12. JuneBug1

JuneBug1 Member

I see Joe Rutter, not DiPaola, as the replacement.

Draft saved Draft deleted