1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Trib debacle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WordMP, Jan 21, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I could see Art Rooney applying that pressure on himself sooner than I could see the new commissioner applying that kind of pressure on him.

But I think there's some merit to that theory.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't buy that for a second. What would the NFL had done if the Steelers hired Grimm? I mean, the other candidates were a black and a Hispanic. Rooney Rule says nothing about hiring minority candidates, only about the hiring process. The Steelers had already met Rooney Rule requirements.

As for Grimm, supposedly he gave poor interviews elsewhere. I could see where he did the same with the Steelers, who also didn't think to well of his lack of discipline coaching the line this past season. A little better line play in those losses -- and line play was one major reason for a loss here and there -- and the Steelers probably win one more game, which means they make the playoffs.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

NO way there was any NFL pressure. Rooney IS the NFL. As Oz said, Tomlin just looked more put-together than Grimm, who was hoping to get the job because he was already there and has maintained a Cowher-esque stache. Add to that, the Steelers likely wanted a young up-and-comer and it makes sense.

One of my buddies referred to the previously unknown Tomlin as the "Goldie Wilson" of coaches. "Head coach, yeah, I like the sound of that."

4. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

Try going on a job interview there.

It's great when they originally tell you that you are applying for one position and when you get there for an interview, they tell you the position is filled and that they are interested in you for some other position. Add to it that they offer you the job you didn't apply for or want and the Trib wants an answer immediately. I'm glad I wasted their money.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

one week later and the owner's card looks pretty safe

Draft saved Draft deleted