1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh travel advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 12, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Never been the place in Dormont. Give me Pamela's for breakfast any day. They have a few locations. Te one in Squirrel Hill used to be a dump with great food. Now it is a really nice place with great food. Between that and Mineo's, my next visit is not going to be good for my waistline.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hit Sammy's for a late lunch. Great call, though they were out of marble rye. :(

The media hotel is literally right across the street from the arena, so yeah, I've been gawking at the guts of The Igloo all day.

EDIT: I gotta say I love this town. Just walked back from the Strip District to the hotel (about a 2-mile hike) after dark, with nary a panhandler or rough-looking character to be found. If it didn't snow half the year, I might move here.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Go to the Strip at the start of the day and you can smell everything being cooked, roasted and baked.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Pretty safe in the downtown area. Nicholas Coffee Co. good and friendly.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the advice, folks. Went back down to the Strip District this morning before the game and picked up some pierogies from S&D Polish Deli. Phenomenal.

The team I'm covering lost today, so I'm headed home tomorrow. My flight's not til 5 p.m., though, so I should be able to grab a fish sammich at the church across the street and go see what's left of Forbes Field before heading to the airport.

6. 93Devil

You know that pretty much nothing is left.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The Forbes Field wall is obvious. Look for the plaque in the street that approximates the spot where the Mazeroski HR cleared the wall. Then head inside the building to find the last FF home plate under glass. Get a picture of yourself sliding into it.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You mean the plate that by most accounts wasn't really where they have it under glass?

9. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

While you're in Oakland, be sure to stop at the O for a hot dog.

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Will be in Pittburgh this Friday, with my dad. Annual father / son trek, seeing as many ballparks as we can, catching the Pirates Friday (before heading to Cincy Saturday). Looking for some advice:

1. Any hints / tips re: the ballpark? Parking, particular item that we just HAVE to see / eat / drink, etc.

2. Anyplace close to the park that's recommended to grab a pregame bite to eat & a beer? Dad's a stout 74......but he's still 74. Not looking to have him hike all over the place.

We're staying out by the airport, but will be in town around noon. Hoping to head into town mid-afternoon & soak up some PGH. Appreciate any advice!

11. 93Devil

If he can pull it off, walk over the bridge to the game.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

He's plenty mobile, won't be an issue. Appreciate the suggestion. Just don't want to hike him all over town before the game. He may be driving me back to the hotel after the game :). Is there good parking on the "across the bridge" side? We're headed back to an airport area hotel after the game, seems like that's the right direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted