1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh SWAT Force at home of Steelers WR Cedric Wilson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by typewriterhill, Jan 19, 2008.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Amen to there being a new SOP for these guys. It is long overdue.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

If he was any good, they'd be waiting for all the facts and allowing the justice system to run its course before making a determination.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Unless he played for the Bengals, in which case they would do nothing.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which is why I brought up Harrison. Yes, I think the team did the right thing letting Wilson go. But the charges against Harrison are also disturbing, so I have a very hard time applauding the Steelers for cutting their No. 3 receiver loose while they sit back and wait for things to shake out with their pro bowl linebacker.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

story quotes steelers p.r. guy as saying harrison's case "is viewed differently," but he didn't explain why:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3302774

UM, 'CAUSE HE'S A GOOD PLAYER???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. outofplace

That is my first thought, too. I may not agree with the thinking, but I can understand it. Wilson just isn't worth the trouble.

There could be legitimate differences. Wilson's latest incident is part of an ongoing situation. Maybe the Steelers told him to stay away from the woman after the blow-up that lead to the SWAT team being called to his house and he ignored them. There could also be some other history there of which we are unaware.

But my money is on the Pro Bowler getting special consideration while the backup does not.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Read the PG article.

"I know many are asking the question of [why] we released Wilson and Harrison we kept,'' Rooney said. "The circumstances -- I know of the incidents, they are completely different. In fact, when I say we don't condone these things, we don't, but we do have to look at the circumstances that are involved with other players and things like that, so they're not all the same."

In Harrison's case, Rooney said the player was trying to take his son to be baptized. Wilson had a previous incident with his girlfriend in which she was charged with shooting a gun in his home. Wilson had walked away from an argument he had with her before the shots were fired and he was not charged with a crime.

"What Jimmy Harrison was doing and how the incident occurred, what he was trying to do was really well worth it," Rooney said of Harrison's initial intent with his son. "He was doing something that was good, wanted to take his son to get baptized where he lived and things like that. She said she didn't want to do it."

So, smack your girl around when it involves decisions on religion that don't go your way.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08080/866662-66.stm

8. outofplace

Ouch. Rooney does not come off well at all there.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

There will be some serious backtracking next few days.
    However, TV, in their always pathetic attempt to be YOUR STEELER STATION, will ignore that part.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Is the SWAT team gone yet?

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Now, that is just stellar.

:D

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Did we ever figure out if that was a man or a woman?

Draft saved Draft deleted