1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Steelers all-time team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

one of eleven reasons - that entire defense beat the hell out of people.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I met Mel Blount about a year ago. That dude would be a linebacker, perhaps a defensive end today yet he was a corner. That is a big dude and he looks like he is in good enough shape that he could still play today if he needed to. I couldn't believe how big he is and he was a monster on the field -- no wonder they changed the rules about how much a defensive end can manhandle receivers.

3. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Zagoshe, wasn't Mel Blount about 6-2, 195? He wouldn't even be a high school defensive end at those dimensions.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

He was listed at 6-3, 210 I think -- but I swear he seemed like he was closer to 6-5 when I met him and I'd say he weighs about 235, 240 now and he looks like he is chiseled from a rock. He looked like he could easily put on the 20 pounds necessary and become a Jevon Kearse like guy!!

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

What? No love for Weegie Thompson!?! :eek:

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Where's Steely McBeam??? :eek:

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A reminder of the rut of mediocrity that team fell into in the mid-80s. But hey....he was really tall.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The list is a fraud, I tell you! I'll take Bobby Layne over Bradshaw at QB any day, and where the hell is Bullet Bill Dudley? All he did was lead the NFL in rushing, interceptions and punt return average for the '46 Steelers.

You young whippersnappers all think the NFL started in 1970. Sheesh!

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can see the argument for Dudley. Not Layne. Layne didn't even have his best years in Pittsburgh.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Actually, no to Dudley, too, since he only played for the Steelers two years (1945-46). I was mostly just having a little fun and showing off my voluminous knowledge of NFL history. Obviously, Layne's glory days were with the Lions, but he threw for 2,510 yards for Pittsburgh in 1958 (when he had his best career rating, if you believe in those things) and passed for 1,986 yards and 20 TDs with the Steelers in '59. Those were all big numbers in those days, by the way.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

But in their primes, I'll take Layne over Bradshaw, without question. In football and drinking.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Just what we need... another fucking fanboy thread.

Take it to steelersfanboyloosers.com

Draft saved Draft deleted