1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Maulers or Priesty Molesters.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 15, 2018.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Replace “priest” with Jerry Sandusky and “church” with Penn State sychophants, and there you go.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That makes some sense, though I do worry about people who put any sports program on a level with religious faith.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I understand what you’re saying, but the Penn State faithful treat PSU Football as if it were a religious faith. PennState doesn’t overtly ask for obedience as the Church does.

wicked likes this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Burn one priest at the stake and you'll ... have to burn a few more. The Catholic church — mine growing up — can die an ugly fucking death.

5. outofplace

Cardinal Wuerl’s Name To Be Removed From North Catholic H.S.

Well, at least the Catholic Diocese is taking Cardinal Donald Wuerl's name off North Catholic High School. That'll show him!

According to the article, Wuerl wrote a letter asking for his name to be removed. Wuerl is one of the church officials being accused of protecting child molesting priests. Before he wrote his letter, there was an online petition to get his name removed from the school.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

This scandal just got a lot bigger. If anyone cares.

BTW, this guy is a great follow for Catholicism issues.

7. outofplace

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I know this is a minor point in this monstrous scheme, but if you're a pederast, you can't believe in eternal damnation, right? You can't believe in heaven and hell and molest children. Because you'd know you're going to hell. So these guys are molesters, first and foremost, but they're not even religious. They don't believe the shit they're selling. Or do they say a few Hail Marys and assume they're forgiven? I don't understand how any Catholic keeps his or her faith in their church. If there are any faithful Catholics here, I'd genuinely love to know how they manage it. No snark. I'm sincerely curious.

10. outofplace

I thought somebody responded to this type of question earlier in the thread. I believe the thinking was that their faith is focused on their relationship with G-d, not the church itself. I've heard it explained as faith being something internal while religion is external. I imagine it is possible to believe as a Catholic while also understanding that the Roman Catholic Church is corrupt and damaged.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

From the Crusades to today, the Catholic church has terrorized the world at large. If the pederast scandal is this big in the United States, imagine the horrors that are perpetrated in third world countries around the globe. Institutionalized, sanctioned rape of boys and girls is part and parcel of the Catholic church.

I was an altar boy but never was molested or even touched by our priest. My dad would have killed him if he did.

As to your question, typefitter, the familiar rituals of a Catholic Mass can be oddly comforting to those who go. I haven't been to Mass in decades, and I could still recite the prayers, but they're just empty words for me. I don't have a great answer for you, but it seems to me that it's somewhat similar to people voting against their best interests even in light of all the evidence against their party or church.

Draft saved Draft deleted