1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by partain, Jan 6, 2010.

1. partain

partain Member

This job is on journalismjobs.com. But there's no mention of sports unless you click on the job ad, so some who would be qualified might have missed it. I don't personally know anything about the company or the magazine.

Company: Pittsburgh Magazine
    Position:
    Seeking magazine/web editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    February 9, 2010
    Job ID: 1140397

Description:
    The No. 1 magazine in Pittsburgh has an opening for an associate editor/ sports/features, with the talent, skill and desire to grow with one of our region’s fastest-growing media companies. We are seeking a prolific, articulate, creative individual with an appreciation for our unique city. Pittsburgh Magazine, which has been publishing for more than 40 years, was recently acquired by a nationally known publisher, Colorado-based WiesnerMedia LLC. The new ownership translates into new investment and growth opportunities for a Pittsburgh institution and the launch of pittsburghmagazine.com and myriad e-media products. Priority will be given to candidates with 3 to 5 years web content experience, a 4-year college degree, knowledge of InDesign; HTML, WordPress, 3 to 5 years blogging experience; knowledge of AP style and a real drive to succeed. The position will be responsible for producing high quality content daily, weekly and monthly, as well as writing sports blogs, columns and features; and producing sports podcasts and web videos. This position will also oversee special sports editions; oversee and edit portions of Pittsburgh Magazine; oversee the City Guide project; read proofs; contribute and write feature ideas; and engage with readers and users on a daily basis. Email resume and salary history to editor-in-chief Julie Talerico at jtalerico@pittsburghmagazine.com.

2. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Good local magazine with a lot of fluff pieces each month, but that's what you come to expect with a periodical of this nature, I suppose.

A friend of mine from high school works there and seems to enjoy it. I have no idea on the salary, though.

The 'burgh's had a few nice journalism jobs come open the past few weeks. That's good to see for underpaid saps such as myself in western Pennsylvania looking for a change.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I applied, though I have minimal blogging experience.

I'd like to think five years-plus at a daily newspaper would override that, but I'm probably wrong.

4. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I applied, too. It's go time, Trey!

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The quality of city/regional magazines varies widely (and I don't know Pittsburgh Mag), but the good ones can be great places to work.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It is going to be really tough to land this one because there are plenty of unemployed journalists in Pennsylvania to choose from.....

7. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

And that doesn't even count all the people working at the Post-Gazette/Trib/whatever who are looking around and saying, "Oh, shit, I've got to get out of here."

Draft saved Draft deleted