1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh, I am in need of suggestions.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pastor, May 6, 2008.

1. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

andy warhol museum
    http://www.warhol.org/

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Sheraton is still there.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Renaissance Hotel across the river from PNC is very nice, but pricey.
    The thing about Pittsburgh is, now that they killed all the damn industry and jobs, it's really beautiful. Definitely ride the Incline and eat at one of the overpriced "view" restaurants on top of Mt. Washington. Warhol museum and Strip District (not what you'd think, unfortunately) market on a weekend morning are quite worthwhile.

4. chester

chester Member

I've got to be honest, but my opinion on Pittsburgh has changed since I met my wife and I've had to make about 500 trips to that town in the last seven or eight years. Of course, I know my opinion will always be clouded somwhat having grown up in Northeast Ohio, but it's really not a bad town.

Boy, I never thought I would ever type those words 10 years ago. Of course, I never thought I'd visit Pittsburgh nearly that much, either, back then.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

For whatever it's worth, worst cab town (major league franchise level) in America. Unless you're going to the airport, they don't want to know you.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's the thing that floored me when I went a couple of years ago.

I'd never been in a major city where you call for a cab and the dispatcher says "It'll be about two hours."

7. markvid

markvid Guest

I lived 11 mins (about 7 miles) from Pittsburgh Int'l until last year (then moved closer to the city).
    Because I was going from the airport to a destination not within 10 miles of the City-County Building in downtown Pittsburgh, they added a surcharge that made my 11-minute cab ride over $50.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Minneapolis is no day at the beach for cabs, either. I stood on a street one time trying for 20 minutes to hail a cab. Finally somebody came along and told me it was illegal for the cabs to stop for someone hailing them, that you have to call a cab.
    I'd say that sucks just as bad.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Never had a cab experience as awful as the one I had in Dallas a couple of years ago. First, from the airport, it was a 30-minute wait until the dispatcher could find one that took credit cards. When it arrived, it looked, inside and out, like it had just finished that race across the Sahara. Cabbie never got out to put my bag in the trunk; cabbie spoke some indecipherable mixture of languages. I had to point to my destination on a street map because he couldn't understand me (and I wasn't even drunk).

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dallas cabs are pretty bad. The vastness of the city is a problem there.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

A mention of Club Erotica on SportsJournalists.com? Oh how I love this place. :D

Pastor, your trip begins (and should end) with a visit to Primanti Bros. -- if you don't mind cole slaw and fries on your sandwich.

PNC Park, Andy Warhol Museum and the incline are excellent starting points, IMO.

12. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

This is the best information. Don't eat a Pirmanti's Bros. sandwich, don't listen to DVE, don't drink Iron City Beer. That's all tourist crap presented by the yinzers who think it's quaint to be a moron. And for God's sake you're a grown man with a wife: Don't take her to a baseball game.

Draft saved Draft deleted