1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh area prep star shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Jesus, what a week for the Quips.

Blow a double-digit lead and lose the state title game. Drop your runner-up medals/trophy, leave the floor and are justifiably ripped for it. Now, your star player -- a nationally-ranked recruit -- gets shot at some party.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07090/774208-100.stm

2. This kid is bad news. I hope he turns his life around, but he is a trouble maker. A hybrid of Ron Artest and Zach Randolph, on and off the court.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Eyebrows immediately get raised when you go to as many schools as he did, and as someone so highly regarded you still go across the country to a middle of no where school like New Mexico State. He may be a good guy, but the behavior pattern suggests otherwise.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Isn't that the town Ditka is from?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Wow, I hope he's all right. Although, knowing the kid, the school and the area, this isn't a huge surprise.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It didn't get nearly as much press, but the sixth man for Pennsylvania Class AAA finalist Greencastle-Antrim, a kid named Greg Hamms, was shot in the legs the night after G-A lost the state final to General McLane.

Hamms transferred from South Hagerstown (Md.) in December to Greencastle, no more than eight miles north of Hagerstown. He was shot in downtown Hagerstown by a 22-year-old guy after an argument in a 7-Eleven.

As for Pope, I'm wondering if his incident had anything to do with his sub-par performance in the finals, topped by fouling out with 1:30 left as the Quips were still trying to hang onto their lead.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Wasn't this kid supposed to transfer to a school in Florida earlier in the year?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I saw reports he was transferring, too, but I guess he changed his mind. Seems to do that quite a bit.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He's like 100 other kids around the country. See Mayo, O.J. He could have wound up at Laurinsburg Prep as easily as anywhere else.

Draft saved Draft deleted