1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pitino:" '69 Knicks My Favorite Team of All Time"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 16, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The only one close to that was in November of '72... Bukcs with Kareem and a fading Oscor, lead the Knicks 86-68 with 5 1/2 to go. Knicks socre last 19 of the game to win 87-86

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Those games were like street fights -- Unseld-Reed, DeBusschere-Gus Johnson and even Jack Marin and Bill Bradley had a particularly nasty running feud. Great rivalry at the time.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Add Frazier/ Monroe and Loughery / Barnett - every matchup was even .

Note to Frank R - thanks for clarifying what Pitino meant. Did you catch up with him at the Garden last week?

4. I remember that game being highlighted on the age-old NBA Awesome Endings home video, and I remember thinking as an 11 year old if I didn't see the footage for myself, I would never believe it, not without a three-point line.

5. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

The Knicks' comeback vs. Milwaukee was also incredible.
    The Garden fed off this team; it's a shame that that venue has starved for more than 34 years.
    Knick fans were second to none at that time, and it's awful that such knowledgeable followers have been stifled for so long.

6. Boom_70

Yes it is. I believe the closest The Garden has come to recreating that energy was when Bernard King was at his peak in 1984. The Garden came alive again in game 6 of Eastern Conference finals Vs the Celtics.

One of great dispointments of that era was that King blew out his knee and never got to play with Patrick when healthly.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Would the Knicks have won a championship with a healthy Bernard King and a young Ewing?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

No.

9. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

As long as the No. 1 media market in the country doesn't have a good basketball team, the NBA's popularity will continue to decline much to the chagrin of New York haters.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Only saw it on TV, but I remember in 92 and 93 the Garden seemed to be back to the old days when the Knicks were playing the Bulls. In 1992, I remember them beating the bulls in Game 6 and the place was going bananas, but they got killed in Game 7. Then when they won those first two games in 93, I think many people thought the Bulls dynasty was going to come to an end. And insert Charles Smith joke here.

11. Boom_70

Tempered by fact that quality of basketball was not as good.

Draft saved Draft deleted