1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pitchfork Journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

At this point, isn't Doyel kind of making fun of himself when he challenges people to a fight, i.e. having some fun with the reputation that he made for himself once upon a time?

2. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

I'll agree with this. I generally enjoy Doyel's columns, but it's the Twitter persona that makes me a little nauseous. That's what prompted my "embarrassment" comment earlier.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's a different standard and it isn't at the same time, if that makes any sense. The off-the-cuff un-thought-out Twitter comment can ignite a lot faster than something controversial in the middle of your column. Readers will not cut you slack on Twitter. And that's fair because, heck, we don't cut athletes any slack for their Twitter bile.

I don't think the reader has to know anything. They didn't 20 years ago before this stuff -- maybe the author would discuss the process in the foreword/epilogue, or in an interview, but that's about it. "Want" to know is debatable too -- I stopped reading Pearlman's blog because I got tired of his handwringing over the Payton book and I'd like to read it at some point and judge the work solely on its merits.

As a writer, I wouldn't want to give away my process over social media because, as we're learning, the process can certainly change. And I don't want to be beholden to providing updates to anyone except my editor.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Thought the guy was an embarrassment when I first came across him, but he writes really impressive columns. Very thoughtful stuff. His work at Penn State was really good, especially outside of Paterno's home. Not counting the main investigative pieces, his work was some of the best from State College.

This is armchair psychology, because I don't know him at all, but he strikes me as a guy who's decided to be two personalities (as many of you alluded to). When it comes to fan interaction-type stuff (twitter, his mailbag, sports radio appearances -- he had a bad one in Toronto last week) he's decided he's going to be one way. But, when it comes down to the actual column writing, he's going to be something else.

It's a different approach. But it seems to work for him.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Excellent point, Ace.

6. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

SF_E, I do respect your opinion and I'm sure you're correct regarding Doyel's columns, but I just can't get past the jerk persona to read them. I have zero desire to read that guy's work.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Ace: I am gonna go off on a tangent on this and point out how much it bothers me that Michele Bachman said she would punch Sandusky in the nose and Sarah Palin said she would hang him herself.

Dude deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail and eternity oughta suck for him, too, but seriously? You want to be president and you're threatening to punch/kill someone?

OK, I feel better.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but I must admit an urge to poke Sarah Palin.

9. As an aside - I echo Moddy's comment that you are one of the most respected voices on this board. Even on issues where we disagree your viewpoint always makes me think and makes me better for having read it.

Sometimes it just needs to be said.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Obviously up to you. In 2011, you've been missing something.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Agreed with others. I used to think Doyel was a bit of a clown. His twitter stuff shows he just doesn't take everything seriously, at least in my mind. He's responsive, funny, and informative. And he's had some very damn good columns. And even when I haven't agreed with him, I've at least given his view a second look. And occasionally he changes my mind.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Simply, thank you. Some of it comes with getting old, but at least I've been learning.

Draft saved Draft deleted