1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pitcher throws too hard, banned? Check. Coach refuses? Check. Lawyers? CHECK!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 25, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20089039&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=635049&rfi=6

A New Haven youth league says a 9-year-old can't play anymore because he throws too hard. His coach tells the league to go suck it. Coach and parents say the real reason they are banning the kid (who has led his team to an 8-0 record) is because the team in second place is sponsored by the league commissioner's barbershop.

You only write about us when we try to ban a kid for being too good!

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Umm, about 80 percent of the 9-year-olds who play in a youth league could have that same complaint: That guy throws too hard, I can't hit him/I'm scared of his fastball.

What the fuck is wrong with adults? Seriously.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I think my kids will just play Wii for the rest of their lives.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Too bad. Choke up.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yep. It's not the like kids brushing everybody back or anything.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Re: Pitcher throws too hard, banned? Check. Coach refuses? Check. Lawyers? CHECK

I think we all remember that kid in little league who scared the piss out of us. Most of the time that kid threw hard and wild. At least this kid is accurate...

Get over it. What are you teaching the other kids by banning the good kid?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me as a youth league pitcher -- a group of adults demanded that I stop pitching and the team hollered and rallied around me.

Except in my case the adults were my coaches and the team that didn't want me to stop pitching was the opponents.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But other than that, it sounds like the exact scenario. I'm sorry you had to go through that, Ace.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's cool. I got back at my coaches by striking out a lot.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ridiculous.

Shouldn't he be in some higher league though? Even so, he'd be gone in 2-3 innings anyway right?

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I was that kid. I had a reputation as a head hunter because I hit a lot of people, but honestly I had no idea where it was going. But I had a strong arm and my youth-league coaches kept throwing out there hoping for the best. I probably pitched 25 or 30 games, and only once did I have good control. That night I threw no-hitter. I'm telling you, throwing with control is not that easy, but people have watched so much MLB on TV now that they think it is.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

These parents are ridiculous. Sometimes in life, we have to go up against people who we have little to no shot of beating, but we do it anyway.

It might suck for them now, but 12 years from now, when this kid is pitching in the majors, these kids can all talk about what it was like to play against him.

I played basketball against Jason Kidd in high school. It was the most fucking ridiculous thing in the world. If it had been five on 1, he would have still kicked all of our asses.

Parents don't ever want their kids to have to face anything that isn't easy. I'd have told my kids, "Yes, he's great, now go out there and do your best against him. Playing against the best will only make you better."

It's no surprise that the kids being raised today are a bunch of video game playing pussies.

It's really sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted