1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pitcher throws lefty and righty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Lefty, righty ...

What is up with this Creighton guys and their indecisiveness?

2. boots

boots New Member

Wow. If this kid can throw strikes, and improve his velocity, there's no telling what can happen.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Do you suppose he would be able to start and pitch on just two days' rest?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not quite the same, but I remember reading something about about some major leaguer -- Chris Carpenter, I think -- who was a phenomenal pitcher and quarterback in high school. When it became apparent he had a future in baseball, he learned how to play QB left-handed so he could save wear and tear on his pitching arm.

5. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

had a kid in our town that did this, maybe 10 years ago.

Breaking balls were better with his left. threw harder with his right.

As soon as I heard went to watch him. He threw six two-hit innings with his left. Threw the seventh with his right.

I know, by rules, it wasn't correct. But I wrote that his left arm got the win and his right, the save.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Nice touch. :)

Different sport, but related -- Gordie Howe was an ambidextrous hockey player. He may still be, for all I know.

If he was coming down the ice with the stick blade pointing to the right (in other words, if he was a right-hand shot) and somebody came at him to check him, he could instantly switch the position of his hands on his stick and become a left-hand shot. He could shoot the puck from either side with equal velocity and accuracy. The only other player I've ever heard of who could do such a thing was Bobby Hull but, after sticks with curved blades came into vogue in the '60s, I don't think Hull bothered with it too much.

The late Bill Durnan, a goalie with the Montreal Canadiens, was also ambidextrous. He played with specially designed gloves that worked as trappers and blockers, enabling him to switch his stick from hand to hand whenever he wanted. He was also the last goalie to serve as his team's captain, before league rules outlawed such a thing.

7. boots

boots New Member

good story

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

and on the rules... a high school kid can't throw back to back games righty and lefty and circumvent the innings rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted