1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pitcher re-entry rule

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Sep 2, 2009.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I thought I'd remembered that a couple pitchers switched in and out of the outfield on the 22-inning game June 3, 1989, but apparently not. Fernando did play first base in that game, and Jeff Hamilton got the loss.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If I'm counting right, Lasorda used 25 players in this game. Since it was in August -- pre September call ups -- does that mean he used the entire roster?

I've seen games where every position player has been used -- and even a starting pitcher used as a pinch hitter or pinch runner -- but I can't remember another game where all 25 players got in.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, usually guys who pitched the previous day or are scheduled to pitch the next day are given the night off.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If the game was that long, it's possible the next day's scheduled starter was used to pitch the final few innings. I looked at the box score but I didn't examine it closely enough to know. He used two, Welch and Valenzuela, in the outfield. Were others used to pinch-hit or pinch-run?

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I covered this game. Lasorda used Fernando in the outfield ONLY because he couldn't find Welch. Welch was asleep in the clubhouse, which, a lot of you know, is quite a distance from the dugout at Wrigley, couple long hallways, upstairs, across a concourse then into the clubhouse.
    This game was suspended after 17 innings. The next day, Aug. 18, Jerry Reuss was on the mound when the game resumed. He pitched four innings and got the victory. Reuss also started the regularly scheduled game, pitched five innings and got the victory in that game, too. In all that day, he pitched nine innings, gave up 5 hits and 2 runs.

6. YankeeFan

That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing it.

Did you find out that day/night about Welch sleeping, or did it come out later?

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We found out the next day. You know, 17 innings in one day, we had to hurry up and file so we could get to Rush Street.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In the late 70s or early 80s movie with Gary Coleman called The Kid in Left Field, Coleman, who was managing the Padres, had a pitcher move to first base while a reliever faced one batter. Then he returned to pitch.

9. YankeeFan

The Kid from Left Field.

I hate myself for knowing that.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

My bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted