1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pistons fire Flip Saunders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Jun 3, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Isiah is available. I'm sure he'd love to work for Dumars.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nobody's more of a dictator than Pat.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Whoever the new coach is (and I know it's Curry now), should probably try to find a lot more minutes for Rodney Stuckey.

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Some of us remember Flip Saunders fondly for the CBA championship he brought to the La Crosse Catbirds

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've never quite bought into that theory for canning a winning coach. Seems like it backfires as often as succeeds.

As a counter-example, consider the Tony Dungy experience. When he was hired, the Colts were in a position to expect Championships--now--instead they endured about 5 straight years of heartbreaking playoff losses under Dungy. Instead of canning, the Colts stuck with him and it finally paid off with a Super Bowl ring last year. Would they've won that ring if they'd tried a coaching change after the Pittsburgh loss the year before? I'm guessin no.

Saunders did not deserve to be fired. He'd be in the finals now if not for Boston's megadeal for Garnett last year--and that ain't his fault. He's done a solid job keeping that team at the top even after losing Ben Wallace and seeing Sheed and Billups begin to creep past their prime. They did every bit as well as should've been expected of them this year, and they won't be any better next year under someone else.

6. ned racine

ned racine Member

after a while the players stop listening...not that they ever did...he was fine..but 3 years and no progress...if you like being stagnant than having him as a lame duck is fine...i dont like lame ducks...and giving him an extension is nuts

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's what it came down to. Dumars, knowing window closing on this group, wasn't willing to give Saunders an extension. If you have a coach in the final year of his contract, the players know the blood is in the water. So you either cut him loose now or extend him.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The situation in the locker room will be dramatically improved once one festering piece of oozing malignant cancer is removed.

Everybody else -- Hamilton, Billups, Prince -- will adjust to the new coach, once the focal point/catalyst for pissing, bitching and general malcontentedness is removed.

9. hachat11

hachat11 Member

Antonio McDyess? :)

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Pro sports front offices are filled, often, with cut-throat, egotisical, greedy, suit-wearing, bottom-line-oriented crapheads.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Kobe averaged 22 points that series. And didn't he have 40 points in one of those games? I mean I know he is Kobe, but how is 22 points bad? And to whoever said Shaq sucked that series he averaged 26 and 10 - with Elden Campbell hanging on his shoulders the whole game.

The real problem was piss poor starting lineup production of Fisher, George and Malone. Only averaged 15 or 16 pts total. Kobe and Shaq had 70 percent of the points.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Here's something I don't get.....

Flip had a .715 winning percentage in 3 years in Detroit, but went to no Finals.

In 20-something years in Utah......how many Finals has Jerry Sloan went to......1?

Is Miller just this much in love with Sloan filling up the Delta Center every night that he just doesn't give a shit?

Draft saved Draft deleted