1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pistons fire Flip Saunders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

At least according to the ESPN scroll.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Let me ask this...he takes the Pistons to the conference finals and they fire him. WTF? Is there more to this than I'm aware of? I'll readily admit I know next to nothing about the Pistons.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He should have coached his players to stay healthy.

He is no Larry Brown. That's what did him in.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

According to the Freep too...
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080603/SPORTS03/80603068

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder at what point do they finally make Tom Izzo an offer he can't (but should anyway) refuse...

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

He's horrible at adjusting in timeouts/quarter-time/halftime. He's routinely out-coached in the post-season.

I also get the feeling some of the players don't respect him or listen to him.

In 2006 he couldn't get by the Cavs, who were worse than they are now and the Pistons were as good if not better than they are now.

They same could be said for last year.

Detroit's been deeper, better balanced and more experienced than the Cavs two years running but lost.

Twice against the Celtics the Pistons blew big leads. The Pistons were outscored 29-13 in the fourth on Friday.

Flip's a good regular season coach, a terrible post-season coach.

I think he'd make a terrific assistant coach.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Exactly. I've been saying it for three years...ever since Mike fucking Brown outcoached him the year the Pistons got past the Cavs. They did it despite Saunders.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks for the explanations, folks. I still have quite a bit to learn about the NBA's Eastern Conference.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When they win, they win despite him.

Sustained in-game focus from that bunch is a sometime thing.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Pistons need to make some changes anyway.

Trading 'Sheed and maybe Tayshaun would be a good start.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Gee I wonder who

[​IMG]

No, he's not; he didn't spend half the season (and the playoffs) trolling for other jobs with other franchises, he didn't tank games on purpose to make his GM look bad, and he didn't turn in a couple of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the sport of basketball.

If Dumars and the Pistons really want Larry Brown, I am sure he'd be happy to bust another contract and make the jump. All it takes is cash.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Chef

Chef Active Member

I said this when they hired him; He will never stand a chance with that roster.

Izzo should get the first phone call, and if he goes, Skiles needs to start house-hunting in East Lansing, pronto.

Yeah.....a hell of a long way from here to there, but........

Draft saved Draft deleted