1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pistons coach Michael Curry... oops. Wait.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jun 30, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

All as of now, more to come I would assume...

Pistons fire coach Michael Curry
    The Detroit News

Auburn Hills -- Pistons coach Michael Curry has been fired, the team announced Tuesday.

"This was a difficult decision to make," Pistons president Joe Dumars said. "I want to thank Michael for his hard work and dedication to the organization. However, at this time, I have decided to make a change."

Curry was 39-43 in his only season as Pistons coach. Detroit was swept by Cleveland in the first round of the playoffs.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Joe Dumars takes the Gannett approach. Just fires everyone.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

So Bill Laimbeer or Doug Collins?

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No and No.

Yahoo is reporting Collins, like Dumars wants to go through THAT again.

5. NDub

NDub Guest

I'd like to know the details about this.

I mean, they've gone through the draft already. I know system and style aren't as vast in the NBA as they are in the NFL, but you've gotta draft "your" players, right? So Austin Daye is going to fit with whomever they hire? That team's identity is in flux right now anyway, so I'm curious what Dumars is going to do about this open gig.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Dumars must have a fairly big name coach lined up though to make this move now.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

An amusing footnote: Dumars fired Flip Saunders, who has coached 14+ NBA seasons with a winning percentage of nearly .600, because Rasheed Wallace (and to a lesser extent his sidekick, Rip Hamilton), "didn't respect him."

Then he hired Michael Curry, who had coached exactly zero games in the NBA, apparently because his coaching credentials met the exacting standards of Wallace and Hamilton sufficiently for their "respect."

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

What "fairly big name coach" could Dumars possibnly have lined up?

I hear Isiah is available.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And the Wolves fired Flip because a year after going to the WCF - where they might have beaten the Lakers if Cassell was healthy - they struggled and McHale replaced him with...himself! And then Don Casey, and Randy Wittman, and...Kevin McHale. The Wolves were completely irrelevant for six years before Flip. They've been irrelevant four years without him.

The guy can coach. Yeah, they lost three straight years in the ECF, and the Wolves only made it out of the first round once, but he's one of the better guys out there.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Joe Dumars picks the players and assigns playing time in Detroit. Not the coaches. This is why Rodney Stuckey was untouchable last year even though he can't shoot, or dribble.

11. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Yea, stang, I'm not sure why people are so high on Stuck,either. He's a poor man's Ben Gordon.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The big problem with Saunders as far as Rasheed Wallace (and to a lesser extent, Rip Hamilton, who follows Sheed around like a puppy dog) was concerned was that he was white. Sheed will listen (occasionally) to white guys if they're grumpy grandpa authority figures (Dean Smith, Larry Brown), and that's it.

Although it is to be noted that the policy of Larry Brown, the world-renowned disciplinarian, toward Sheed was basically, 'let him do anything he goddamn wants.' This worked OK for a season or so when the things Sheed wanted to do coincided with the things the team needed him to do. Once those things were no longer synonymous, trouble followed.

Of course, Sheed didn't listen to Curry, either. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted