1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pissing matches, long-running feuds, baiting, and general jack***ery

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm tired of them, the long-running feuds, the chronic threadjack pissing, etc., and so I'm going to vent.

When you stop and think about the dynamic -- spewing repeatedly at someone you probably don't know, have never met and will never meet, someone who could be simply playing a character as a lark -- it's stunningly sad and eye-opening that so many people could develop intense rivalries on an anonymous message board.

I'm not going to rip anyone for posting a lot or being here a lot, but when it reaches the point when you're engaging in pissing match after pissing match, carrying it from board to board and thread to thread, isn't it perhaps time to step back and take a good look at your life? I know that might sound judgmental, but it's meant to be constructive criticism. I can think of many things more healthy and worthwhile than the constant barrage of fuck-you and die-and-go-to-hell and yada yada.

Read a book.
    Make love to your significant other.
    Volunteer somewhere.
    Go for a walk.
    Take your child to story day at the library.
    Do an unexpected good deed for someone you don't know.
    Sing Kumbaya with Boom.
    GET A FUCKING HAIRCUT!!!!
    Chill.

Perspective is a wonderful thing. If many of the feuds here aren't cries for help, I don't know what would be.

I know a few people who've left the board and never looked back, and they are happier and better balanced than before. Most people here come and have fun or learn or teach or receive encouragement and return to their routines, but there are a few people here who worry me, and some of them make the jobs of the moderators miserable. I realize venting here can be a public service, keeping people from road-raging and going postal, but in some cases it's chronic and toxic.

Stop and think about how short life is and how pitiful it is when one anonymous nickname is all but codependent and hooked into every word posted by another anonymous nickname.

Let that sink in for awhile, and please tone down the jackassery.

My last comment on the locked boots thread: Some of you who are stunned it was locked can't see the two or three posts I saw (and deleted) before locking it. It only takes a few seconds for someone to post something, and only a few seconds for it to be locked.

It might not make sense reading the thread in its locked and final resting place, and I'm not going to tell anyone who posted what or to whom, so don't ask. I'm posting this on more than one thread, but it's the last I'll address it -- even in PM. It's done. Sorry.

As I've said before, I don't want to lock any thread, but that one reached the point of no return.

Anyway, please ... a little civility? If you have a feud with someone, handle it elsewhere.

Update: I see Boots agrees. I appreciate his input. Clearly, we cannot discuss foolishness at SportsJournalists.com without creating more foolishness at SportsJournalists.com, so I am locking that thread too. He's made his point.

Chill out. Have fun. Stop fucking with each other just for the sake of fucking with each other.

I'm not saying we all have to get along, but it's clear some people just want to start trouble. I'm willing to assume boots is on the level with his olive branch until he proves otherwise. He is right. We need less bullshit on here.

I wish someone had mentioned that sooner. ::)

Fresh start, everyone. Please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.