1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pissing match: Post-Dispatch vs. The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

So I guess “Frank Sinatra has a Cold” sucked

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Oh, Mr. Talese wrote that in an evening, did he?

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I subscribed to the Athletic, in large part to read about my hometown NFL team, the Broncos. I currently live a long away from Denver. The Athletic hired Nicki Jhabvalata away from the Post to cover the team. And she is good.

But the Post still has one full-time and one mostly full-time guy covering the Broncos. The Post still produces a lot more material about the Broncos than the Athletic. I sometimes find it frustrating that when I cehck ina t the Athletic I don't know how much content I will see.

I pay eight bucks for the Post on Kindle and five dollars for the Athletic. And with the Post I get to read what remains of their local coverage.

I wonder if the same thing is not true in St. Louis. The Athletic has some really good staffers but the P-D offers a lot more comprehensive coverage.

Writer likes this.
  4. They push the "everything is unique" thing because they have to in order to drive subs, but to me the appeal is, no matter what team you want to read about, they probably have a pretty good beat writers on them, and you also get to read local coverage from other markets as well as national stuff and the site is easy to read and doesn't have popup ads. It's not very much money, to me it's worth the subscription price for the amount of content you get.

cake in the rain likes this.
  5. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

The appeal of The Athletic, at least to me, is that I pay for one subscription, and I get some pretty cool, insightful content about programs and teams I may not follow on a day-to-day basis, but still want to know more about if they had a big day (sprung an upset on a college football Saturday, have some front-office turmoil, etc.). I love getting those stories from people who are really well connected and don't just swoop in when there's a big story.

However, I've been incredibly disappointed in The Athletic when it comes to covering the teams that I do follow on a day-to-day basis. It is no replacement whatsoever for the quantity of content I get from local beat writers, and as a result, I've kept the subscriptions I've had to those outlets. I closely follow a major college football team, and to get just one story the night of/morning after a game pales in comparison to the gamer, column, notes, sidebar treatment the daily newspaper does. The college basketball team had a huge win in November ... and there was NOTHING on The Athletic about it, even though the beat writer was at the game. My favorite baseball team was in the playoffs, and there was not daily coverage.

I don't mind paying $40/year or whatever it is I paid for The Athletic this year. But any more than that (and they have to raise the price at some point, right?), I'm not sure it's worth it.

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Your mileage may vary. I subscribed for C. Trent Rosecrans' Reds coverage, one of the best in the biz. He went to Louisville yesterday for a Triple-A game and story on a key Reds player of the future -- a story he didn't *have* to do, surely his editor or boss (or however that works at The Athletic) didn't tell him to get his tail to Louisville. He's just an effing good beat writer. Meanwhile the Reds won the game he missed, with Puig finally hitting a HR at home, and another Athletic Cincinnati writer covered that.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

A reporter got better quotes from Damian Lillard than Russell Westbrook? Film at 11.

studthug12 and PaperClip529 like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

'

Given The Athletic's model - which was to hire already-embedded beat writers to cover teams - I'd be surprised if *any* local beat writer got the kind of access Chris Haynes (former of ESPN, now of Yahoo, has a well-known podcast) got Monday night. It'd be like saying "how's come Wright Thompson got Michael Jordan access?" Well, because he's Wright Thompson, who works for ESPN, is why. Bill Simmons is an inveterate hack of a journalist who can barely conduct an interview without making it about himself - in other words, he's a terrible journalist - but lots of people talk to him. Why? Because he's him.

That's the business. I doubt Damian Lillard wants to invite the guy over to his house that he talks to on a frequent basis. He wants to invite the guy who just wrote about Kevin Durant and sits down with stars on a routine basis.

That said, The Athletic piece from last night was very good. It just doesn't come with a special invite. Local reporters don't get those breaks very often.

Tweener likes this.
  10. Tweener

You didn’t read the story, did you? Haha.

And even if it were just about getting better quotes from Lillard, why didn’t the guy on the Blazers beat with insider access get them?

11. Tweener

I absolutely agree with you there, which is why it clearly bothers me that The Athletic is selling subscriptions with the claim that readers will get insider access they can’t find anywhere else. That’s been proven time and again to be a fallacy.

The Blazers writer for The Athletic is very good, so this wasn’t meant to be a shot at his coverage. The thing is, I can get very good coverage of the few teams and sports I follow a number of places, and any expectation of getting more than that is met with a response that it’s unrealistic.

12. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Chris Haynes has a personal relationship with Lillard that most reporters do not have. Haynes goes back to his days as a reporter in Portland, and he struck up a friendship with Lillard. Damian Lillard is not inviting "reporters" over to his house. But a friend like Haynes, yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted