1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pirates to Tracy: You're out .. and you suck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They're STILL about 2-5 years from really having to buckle down and try, before hypnotized Steeler fans finally say, "Hey, douchebags, going to do anything about this crappy rounders team in our lifetimes?"

Close . . . but not yet.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

So... I see they still have a baseball team in Pittsburgh. Who would have guessed?

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

They have uniforms and everything, it's really great...

I don't see why it's a surprise they fired Graham, aside from his previous relationship with Huntington. The guy's in charge of player development in the minors, a wasteland where the only thing pitchers develop are sore arms. Their drafts have been horrendous. I still think they should've nabbed the guy who's run the Brewers' drafts.

Good for the new guys, they're not into crony-ism apparently.

Who will get this job? No Scrap Iron, please. He's shown he can't manage young, not-so good teams (though who can, really?) If Joe Girardi says no, I say Joey Cora, the White Sox third base coach. He's a guy that doesn't get much pub for jobs, but he's smart (a Vanderbilt guy), he knows how to win, and he's not afraid to bite someone in an on-field fight.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Bullshit! He's getting us first!

Love,

Chicago Cubs

5. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

If you're not willing to spend the money to win, then why own a baseball team? And by spend the money to win, I don't mean you have to go out and sign ARod for $30 million a season. Do what Minnesota and Oakland did and put money in scouting and the farm system. There are things that are better investments than owning a shitty baseball team that you're too cheap to do anything about. Buy a damn shopping mall or something.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hate to say it, but D-3 Fan is right. The jackasses who own the Pirates now won't sell anyway as long as they are making money.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

[blue]Yeah, last season was pretty much Tracy's fault.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the Pirates owner is turning a $15-$20M per year profit thanks to TV rights and revenue sharing. That's not a bad ROI.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I won't shed any tears over the firing of Brian Graham since I hated the season I had to deal with him in the minor leagues years ago.

10. Pirates fans might be rejoicing with the news of Tracy, Graham, Creech and Mercurio being dismissed but wait till Huntington has to make the necessary announcement of trading left-fielder Jason Bay and right-fielder Xavier Nady because the team won't be ready to compete by the time they're contracts are up after the 2009 season.

Andrew McCutchen sold to the local media and fans as the savior of Pittsburgh's centerfield abyss struggled last season at Double-A Altoona even though Brian Graham and Dave Littlefield inexplicably promoted the young hitter to Triple-A Indianapolis late in the season.

Neil Walker was switched from catcher to third base and did little to earn his promotion to Indianapolis considering the amount of errors and lack of power at the plate.

That's it for the Pittsburgh farm system, it leaves little doubt in my mind, guys like Bay, Nady, Jack Wilson, Adam LaRoche and Freddy Sanchez will be available for large sums of young cheap talent.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Many shopping malls are deader than William McKinley.

MLB ownership is welfare for the rich. Ask the Prez.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd be shocked if those two agreed to take their successes to Pittsburgh.

Draft saved Draft deleted