1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pirates of '97 retrospective

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jul 9, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

As I do now, I was around the '97 team.
    It was a fun season for the simple fact they went WAY above and beyond expectations.

2. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

And keep in mind, after the '97 season was over, the P-G also did a special section commemorating that 79-83 finish. "A Season in the Sun," it was called, with Al Martin kneeling in grass surrounded by blackness.

And yes, sadly, I saved a copy of it.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

One of my town's own was on that team and I made the trek to Three Rivers to chronicle that unlikely turn.
    The Freak Show, as the guys in the press box called it, was a lot of fun.
    My paper ran every AP gamer.
    10 years later, it feels like a dream.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

I do remember one moment distinctly:
    Last game before All-Star break, in St. Louis.
    Team wins, we put up a graphic of the NL Central.
    They are at 43-43, leading the division by 1 over the Astros.
    I get back to Pittsburgh that night, my father says "It won't last". I reply "Nope".
    But, yet, they hung in there till the last week.
    I still to this day think it was more fun than the 1990-92 teams, because they were expected to win, not the 1997 team.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I wonder what would have changed and by how much if the Pirates actually got into the playoffs that year?

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here is what would changed -- people in Pittsburgh would be bitching about this being their 10th losing season in a row instead of 15th

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And I would be OK with that, having that one playoff season to look back at.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Nine years from now the Cincinnati Post will do a profile of the 2006 Reds, who won 80 games but finished just 3½ games out since the rest of the division was lousy.

9. TheSportsPredictor

Man, those awesome Pirates were never even .500 after Aug. 29 and out of first place by at least 2½ games for most of September.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Braves. Marlins. Mesa. Hargrove.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

SCOREBOARD!

12. TheSportsPredictor

Bonds, Wakefield, both leave Pittsburgh in early '90s, but never leave the team they go to.

Draft saved Draft deleted