1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pirates hijack ship, want $20 million for utility infielder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Pirates (OK, not THOSE Pirates) have hijacked a ship full of Russian tanks, ammo and parts off the coast of Somalia. They want $20 million for it. A U.S. destroyer is on station and a Russian missile cruiser is on the way. Methinks they're not gonna get the money.

http://news.aol.com/article/pirates-demand-20-million-for-ship/192184

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

If Russia had a salary cap, none of this would have happened.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But what if Putin rears his head?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Could they settle for better pitching?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If only Sarah Palin could see Somalia from Alaska, she'd know what to do!

Seriously, I think the Russians should just sink the mofo. Sends a good message to the pirates.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

With Putin calling the shots, I wouldn't put sinking it out of the question. Only problem is there's still about 20 crewmen being held hostage somewhere on board. We'll probably be hearing about a successful Russian special forces operation to free them -- and 15 very dead Somali pirates -- sometime this week.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

First post and that ball ain't coming back. BYH jacked it on to Kenmore Avenue.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I doubt the Russians would be very squeamish about sacrificing their own citizens in order to send a message. I doubt they'll even bother with storming it. the only question is whether they'll use a sub-launched torpedo or a boat-launched missile to do the deed.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

With the government-controlled media, Putin just says the pirates executed the crew then the Russians sunk the ship to keep the weapons from falling into terrorists' hands.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Huh. The original link goes to an updated story now. Interesting. Anyhoo, the shipping company is negotiating a ransom. U.S. ships -- several now, not just the one destroyer -- surrounding the freighter to prevent the cargo from being offloaded.
    And the ship is Ukrainian, the crew Ukrainian, Russian and Latvian. Sinking the ship might spark an international incident with a group of countries that can put up a fight.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ah, thought it was a Russian ship.

However, if any of the pirate speed boats make any move away from the freighter they should be blown to kingdom come.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

and I'm sure they will.

Draft saved Draft deleted