1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pirates fire GM David Littlefield....let's try again.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 7, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

In case anybody wanted to say more on this topic, I'll open it up again. Hopefully, we can all behave this time.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You'd have to say it's the right move. Since this is the Pirates we're talking about, wouldn't they try to go out and get someone's assistant GM rather than a re-tread like Wade, Duquette?

Would seem to be consistent with the cost-efficient nature of the organization.

3. healingman

healingman Guest

Ahem ... I hope the Pirates get it right (or close to it) with their next pick. Pittsburgh deserves a great baseball team. I still remember those Pirate teams of Stargell, Parker, Stennett, Candelaria, etc.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. Bob Nutting thinks he can get Walt Jocketty to take over the Bucs as the new CEO, hire a young GM upcoming GM like Chris Antonetti, and get Tony LaRussa as manager. If it happens, I'll be shocked.

As for Dave Littlefield, those in the media who dealt with him will be hoping for someone with more of an honest spine and ability to handle the media than the man who just hit the unemployment list. Not even vague Craig Patrick was this difficult.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

They need new ownership. People who don't just talk about improvement, but show the Pirates fans something. Having Billy Beane and whoever the hot, young manager is would be nice, but they have next to no chance without some talent to mold, lead and coach.

Continuing to be cheap will make every front office job with the organization a hired-to-be-fired position ... yes, even more than usual in professional sports.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I dealt with the interim GM, Brian Graham, in the minor leagues and he was a jerk.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

So you're not a fan of the Dan Duquette talk, I'll take it?

The sad thing is Duquette would be perfect for Pittsburgh. He made a whole lot out of nothing in Montreal.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Whoever can make the Bucs into a winner, I'm all for them. But it's going to take a miracle for that to happen.

10. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

Can't fire the owner, sadly.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It isn't always a case of having a limited budget. The kind of prime free agents who are bound for the Yankees or Red Sox don't have Pittsburgh on their radar anyway.

Evidence suggests the Pirates have a done piss-poor job of scouting and player development.

In 1999, they had the No. 8 pick overall and took pitcher Bobby Bradley. They passed on Barry Zito, Ben Sheets, Chris Duncan and Brian Roberts.

In 2001, they were eighth overall and took pitcher John Van Benschoten. They passed up Bobby Crosby, Jeremy Bonderman, Noah Lowry and David Wright.

In 2002, they were choosing No. 1 overall and liked Bryan Bullington more than BJ Upton, Prince Fielder, Khalil Greene, Cole Hamels and Jeff Francoeur.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone would dispute that, but every good team needs to make a splash every now and then. Look at the Tigers. With the good young pitching they drafted, they would have improved from that 119-loss season in due time anyway. But adding guys like Pudge and Ordonez paid huge dividends down the line. Those guys helped accelerate the rebuilding process.

Obviously, paying nearly $10 million for Matt Morris is not how you replicate the Tigers' blueprint.

Draft saved Draft deleted