1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pirates fans planning walkout on Saturday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sports scrub, Jun 28, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Oh, hey, I'd be pissed if I lived in the Steel City and this was "my team." I'm kind of pissed as it is because Jason Bay is there and getting nothing out of it in terms of winning.

However, buying a ticket puts money in the owner's pocket. Walking out after buying the ticket is a waste. Just don't show up - for a month.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lions fans tried that last season... 12 people walked out.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

First, you know what you're getting out of the Nuttings.

Second, Dave Littlefield has proven himself incapable of doing the job in the current circumstances. There are other GMs winning with crappy owners and low payrolls; see Terry Ryan. (Carl Pohlad didn't exactly open the wallet and make his life easier.) And I'd say that far fewer people gave two damns about the Twinkies when they were struggling after Puckett retired than now care about the Pirates, even after all these losing seasons.

I feel for Pittsburgh fans, I really do. That ballpark is a gem, and despite the BS the minor league system is one of the better ones in the majors.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

From the story: "There is no compelling reason for MASN, also on commercial break, to show it to a Washington audience that would have little interest."

Huh? If I'm MASN, and it happens, then I definitely shoot it. You have the tape for every national broadcast.

Also, anyone find it coincidental this happens on Bob "Walk" bobblehead day?

5. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

I blame Bonds, he cursed the team babe-style when he left ... :'(

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Stay away. Don't listen or watch it on TV.

And really...I don't give a shit how nice that stadium is, you as a fan, are ruining baseball if you pay to walk into that park. Don't enable these bottom-feeders.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No, the OWNERS are enabling the Nuttings and McClatchy by forking over revenue-sharing money that's getting pocketed after the debt service on the team probably has been paid off five times over.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So if I consistently go to Bucs games, I'm ruining the sport? Conversely, all those Expos fans who didn't go to games in the final years in Montreal, did they help the sport by staying away and forcing Selig to think contraction before moving that franchise to D.C.?

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Brewers fans sit back and say, "If our once dog-ass franchise can do it, so can the Pirates."

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Yeah. I remember the protests when the Tigers lost 119 games in 2003. All the walkouts. B.F. Hoo. Don't like it? Don't buy a ticket. This ain't Russia. I hope the Pirates get better some day. Their ballpark is beautiful. I hope Tampa Bay gets to enjoy a winning season. But the Pirates and Devil Rays' problems lie at the feet of their respective owners, and no one else.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Yeah. The lack of talent since then had nothing to do with it.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And therein lies the fucking problem. Why should the Nuttings invest in trying to win when they have 1.9 million jackfucks showing up a season, and 1.6 million of them are just pleased as punch to sit in the stadium, look out at the city and say "wow, this is so much nicer than Three Rivers was." The Pirates ceased being about baseball the minute they moved in PNC Park. FRom then on it became about "Come see our beautiful new ballpark and Class-AA product" and these Goddam lemmings are buying it hook, line and sinker.

Draft saved Draft deleted